1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blackbuck Ears

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by camiller, Jul 17, 2016.

1. camiller

camiller ...Live, Hunt, Preserve...

MI
    I have a question for those who handle blackbuck more regularly. This past March I took a nice blackbuck in south Texas and had got him dressed and cooled quickly and caped him out promptly - less splitting and turning his ears; and got the hide quickly frozen for transport home just like I did for everything else on the trip. However, after thawing and completing the caping process today I'm losing hair like crazy on the backs of the ears by nowhere else. I'm not having this issue from other animals taken on the trip. I've never experienced this with anything else before and wasn't sure if it was something I could have done in the process. Thoughts?

williewoowoo likes this.
  2. camiller

camiller ...Live, Hunt, Preserve...

MI
    And while we're at it - is flocking the best way to go for a fix? If so where can I get the best quality product?

3. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I have handled quite a few but have never observed this. If the ears got warm that would cause it. I have seen deer ears slip with frozen heads but due to the ears flapping in the wind while riding in the back of the truck, the ears slipped badly.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I've done several and never had that problem - but I've experienced slip on animals that I know I handled correctly and can't always identify a direct cause. I don't think blackbucks, in particular, are any more susceptible to slippage on the ears than any other deer/antelope, at least not in my experience. As for repair - flocking - on line or from Hobby Lobby.

5. I've had blackbuck during that time of year (spring) seem to lose more hair than usual- I always figured that were transitioning into their summer coats- not sure why the ears would be worse than any other area on the cape if it was for that reason