1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear skin dye?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Dominic, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Have any of you heard of or use dye on your bear skin so that it doesn't show through the fur when it dries?
    What products do you use?

2. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

http://www.mckenziesp.com/Dyes-C67.aspx

3. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I use lifetone dye on the flanks were hair is thin , spray with airbrush

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I prefere the liquid flank and hide dye to the spray can stuff. Both will work fine. I just like to use my airbrush.

5. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

OK here's my take on dying Black Bears. I have never found a dye I like. I have had many recommendations over the years and am still unhappy. I use Wildlife Gallery tans for everything.

Detail Black paint..I find it flakes off

Lincoln shoe dye...too shiney

Flank dye from Rinehart....Crap

Hionis spray dye....I like that it brushes out of the hair but find on rugs it will crack where folded for transporting. Great for lifesize

McKenzie Dyes and lifetone....rub off

Tandy leather Fiebings Oil Dye which I currently use....great coverage and almost soaks through....will not dry on the hair and it takes a lot of work to rub with paper towels to remove from hair

I have been told from some that they dye the back of the rug and it comes through the hair side.....never seen this done.

I have posted a few times over the years for someone to please share what works for them. I wish I could figure out what Northern Pines or Rug be Bears use...I've even considered digging through their dumpsters as they are close by. If someone is willing to share this secret via PM I would hold it close and not share it. In forty years of doing professional taxidermy i have been able to figure out or have someone tell me how to solve any problem I have faced.....................Bear dye that works continues to elude me

6. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

SEM leather dye. That has been suggested here before. I've never tried it though.