1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

College Education-- What Degrees do Taxidermists Have?

Discussion in 'Training' started by icarusmasaru, Jul 19, 2016.

1. My youngest son went to med school at $50K plus a year. So now he has a 200K school loan! 2 more years of residency to go but he had to start paying that back when he was done with med school.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That actually sounds pretty cheap for med school Bucknut! Impressive, I'm sure you're proud. At least he'll be in a profession making plenty where he can pay it back in a few years. Kudos to your son!

Joey - the good ol days eh??? $100 bucks a semester - I wonder what that translates to in today's dollars???

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

For me, Junior College was $5 per Quarter credit and a full load was considered 15+ credits. When I transferred to a university, the out of state undergrad credits(Semester) were $17 and graduate credits were $23. That was 1968-1972.

TODAY JC is $159 and University $635

Using an inflation calculator...that $5 in 1970 equals a bit over $31 today or a little over 500% As you can see it's much more than that. The cost of today's college education is NOT the cost of borrowing the money for it .........it's the HUGELY inflated cost of the education itself.

4. FishArt

Of course the initial cost is ridiculous, but the high interest rate loans are just the salt on the wound! In Bucknut's son's case the interest alone on a 10 year loan would be over a hundred grand or more than a half the initial cost!!!!

P.S. And for most student loans, us parents have to co-sign. Which will show up on our credit rating as a debt and we are responsible if our kids miss a payment!!! Some parents find this out when they go to buy a car or purchase a home and all of a sudden they're upside-down on their back-end ratios for their loan!!! Be careful out there with what you sign for!

5. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Student loans are HIGH interest rates? Right now they are a little over 4%. Barely over what a 30 year mortgage is.

6. FishArt

That's only the Federal loans OF. And that's still high IMO when you consider that 30 year fixed mortgage rates are in the low 3's right now. The fed loan usually only covers a portion of one's loans too. The cheapest rate as of last year for the non-fed rate that we could find was 7.9%. Of course the interest is tax deductible up to $2500 I believe (and assuming you and your spouse make less than $120K). But at a realized APR of around 6% ish it still sucks IMO. A Refi or HELOC would be a better choice IMO if you have the equity and you're on the hook as a "co" anyway. Bottom line is forget forcing tax payers to foot the tuition bills for college students (Hillary). Instead, how about a Federally insured zero interest loan instead???

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Marty i'm "no fun" because I see right through your "objectivity" and call you on it. Only you could write that much bullshit and actually believe what you said.

8. FishArt

No George, you're confused once again. You're confusing MY lack of objectivity with YOUR ignorance of the subject matter (once again). Time to toss your set of encyclopedias and try to catch-up with the rest of the world! And once again you redirect to avoid the real issue at hand. It's much easier to deflect and place the blame on others (me in this context) vs/ looking in the mirror and asking yourself "why"? Why must you always belittle others? Simple question, tough answer though...

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Your "objectivity" is only an OPINION to everyone else and we all know what opinions are like. Most of us don't need to quote evey post we reply to since we can read for ourselves and don't need a visual reminder to respond.

10. redbrooke

redbrooke New Member

MBA