1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey questions

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mcking, Jul 22, 2016.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hello everyone! I'm in the need of some advice. I have a few turkeys I wanted to mount up. It's been a good 4 years since I last worked on a bird of any type. And even then I never have worked on a turkey in the past. Anyways, few questions. I washed this turkey a few times and degreased it well. I got the bird sewn up today and noticed in the neck area, where it was shot, alot of the feathers are real grungy looking. How can I get them to fully fluff back up? Should I clean them with alcohol or something before blow drying? It's kinda bald in the area so I desperately need these feathers to fluff back up to hide the bad area. Any ideas? #2 this is a walking turkey. I already wired the wings with a real light wire, but after sewing everything up, and trying to close the wings up I'm wondering if maybe I should go no wire?? Is it possible to go no wire in the wings? Should I open it back up and cut the wires. How does everyone do it? Kinda confused and stressed. Thanks in advance!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Do you have any turkey mounting DVDs?

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

As much as it will stink I would wash and blow dry it asap before the skin dries. And I always wire my wings on any pose.