1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

the chrome look holy grail

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by duxdog, Jul 26, 2016.

1. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I have a new product i am working on. It gives you the chrome scales you are looking for even after you load up on the gloss. The blue in the scales is the reflection of a pool outside of my window

Attached Files:

2. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Looking forward to hearing more on this. I have tried various methods with some great results until the gloss hits. Let us know how this works out for you.

3. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

The trick for chrome is in the instructions for almost all paint. Let it dry for 24 hrs before the next application of color or clear coat.... It will stay chrome if it's allowed the time to harden properly. ;) It would be very benificial though to have a product that speeds up that process..

Best, Steve

4. Fishermans Tale

Fishermans Tale Member

A Chrome product that I tried was Mirrar Chrome by Alsa Corp. Works best used on smooth surfaces
    but not so much on scaled replica's. Tried many of their products but just didn't work for me.

5. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I had two killer cans (Prizma coat and one of the mystics); they were defective and wouldnt spray the pigment. I have a bottle of mystic, and lik the effect but the one time I painted with it, I ended up painting over it.

6. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I glossed it right after application and ai sprayed so much on it was running down the sides

7. thirtyacre86

thirtyacre86 Member

No better pics???

8. den007

den007 Active Member

I am with Ryan….it looks black in the picture. I am not sure there is a one shot answer to a genuine scale metallic that comes out of a can. I actually had a replica chrome plated one time and it did not look convincing at all. The only way I know is layer after layer of metallics, shimmers, and iridescents. Ask Uncle Dave!

9. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I only did 12 or 13 scales. The rest of the replica is painted black of course. If you zoom in on them you can see the reflection of the kiddy pool outside the window. I agree UFD is the best at recreating that illusion . I was just messing around and having fun with some new stuff.

10. den007

den007 Active Member

Ah, I see now. I have heard that to do chrome, it is best over black. Every time I see a silvery fish, I wish there was an easy button to duplicate it…….and I do not think it can be truly duplicated at all. Acrylics and lacquers are a poor palette compared to the Creator's. I have prayed now and then, but he refuses to tell me!