1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

the best artifical snow???

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Woody woodman, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Woody woodman

Woody woodman New Member

Who sells the best/most realistic looking artificial snow??

Does hott gluing cotton sheeting down on your base first help the artificial snow go further? ?
    (Standing howling coyote mount)

2. I Like the snow from WASCO, if you want deep snow then yes I add cotton,

3. What's the best way to adhere the artificial snow to the base (wood, rocks)?

4. I use a spray glue, 3m or something, then glue down your cotton, puff it up or what ever you want, once its in place mist water over the cotton, and only on the cotton, then sift WASCO snow, then spray that lightly, you may have to
    do this 3 or 4 times till you get the look you want,

5. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

Do you apply spray adhesive before or after applying the snow? Both?

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Dixieland Taxidermy Supply (800-465-4577) sells a great artificial snow that is very user friendly.

7. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

Lol, Is that in the same aisle as dehydrated water?

jackandlinda and pir^2h like this.
  8. jackandlinda

jackandlinda New Member

9. jackandlinda

jackandlinda New Member

How do you keep the artificial Snow White over time? What’s the cotton base? Cotton batting??

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

also depends on how thick you want the snow. If you just want a dusting with a few thicker areas i use the snow from the hobby shop that is used for train displays. Use a good spray glue in the area you want snowed but use sparingly. Sprinkle the snow to the desired thickness. When that sets spray over with a clear matte spray to seal it. It will never come off and can be kept clean and white easily over time. IMG_0729.JPG

msestak and Vulpes Vulpes like this.
  11. NMJagdHunter

NMJagdHunter Ted Wenner

crystal clear (can't remember the number off my head) from smooth on mixed with the acrylic craft snow.

12. yes it is cotton batting, I have not seen any yellowing yet from this snow, it does form a hard shell, thats makes it easy to dust somewhat,

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stay away from cotton. Go to an upscale fabric store and buy the polyfil sheets in various thicknesses, and/ or the pillow polyfil. If you use spray glue, READ THE LABEL CLOSELY. You need to buy the "will not yellow" brand. (I always painted my base with white house&trim acrylic before laying the poly. Seversl suppliers sell water activated snow that requires no spray glue. The poly will give loft and the snow I'll give realism. 20200922_170710.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    46 willys, ARUsher and msestak like this.