1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

SCALE DETAIL

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by 1tahr, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Hi im trying to mold trout in gelcoat then a fiberglass jacket, the scale detail is dissapointing on the finished cast, ive de slimed the fish ,then dried with a hair drier ,brushed on a PVA release , before applying the gelcoat, I wonder if im putting on to much release and filling the scale pockets and loosing detail ? Any ideas to get better detail in my molds thanks

2. PVA on a fish? That is your problem,

3. No release needed on the fish when you're molding it. Casting is a different story.

4. HI thanks guys i thought the gelcoat might stick to the skin or react wasnt sure thanks for advice .

5. Hi all, can someone tell me if i need a release agent on a fish when molding with bondo/resin mix im confused if so what is the correct release agent thanks

6. When making the mold no need but you can if you want.

When casting a blank from the mold, Yes.

7. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

I use mold release when I cast a fish. Most of the time I am able to get 2 molds. i use 531 spray but it isn't available any longer so you will need to use a spray from Reynolds supply or somewhere else. On the molds, I use Carnuba wax to get the fish blank out.

8. Eaglewood

Eaglewood New Member

I can help with this -- shoot me a message and Ill walk you thru it. Getting set to start a class for this exact thing.