1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Frozen Deer Hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by SiftKill, Jul 29, 2016.

1. SiftKill

SiftKill New Member

If I thaw out my hide do I need to pre-soak it be for fleshing. Can I put it straight into the pickle after fleshing without salting?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

1) I can't think of a reason to pre soak a hide to flesh it. I have fleshed hundreds and never pre soaked. Maybe freezer burn?

2) you can, however, I prefer to salt and and rehydrate the cape with a little Kemal 4 before I put it into the pickle.

I have tried no salt, salt water brine before pickle, salting over night then rehydrate and into the pickle, salting hard, and dry but still pliable. I prefer to do the last two, hard or dry but pliable.

3. crazycajun

crazycajun New Member

I cannot see a reason for soaking before fleshing, I pressure wash my hides, hang and let drip for 30 minutes then salt and hang overnight, then re-hydrate in tap water with re-hydrater af for around 20 minutes, hang till stop dripping and into pickle.I will stir the hides around a couple times to remove folds in the skin.