1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Guess the size

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Jul 30, 2016.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Here is the only pic I have from a customer who wants me to estimate the size. It is the only one taken. Hmmmmmm……I would think the guide would have had a clue. Anyways, my best guess is around 38 inches. Would like other opinions please.

Attached Files:

2. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Assuming he has an average size hand you can measure what you can see of his hand and use that as a guide to measure the length of the head and the distance from nose to dorsal and go from there.

3. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I think you're 38" is as close as your going to get without more info. I'm sure the angler has a number he has been telling all his buddies. If you happen to know anyone he might have told you should try to contact them. It doesn't matter if the fish is 34" or 44" he's not going to be happy if it comes back 2" shorter than his fish story claims. If you can come up with his number I would add 1/2"-1" and then tell him you measured the guys arm in the picture and according to the anatomy of the fish showing its x inches long.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The size is EXACTLY the same length and girth of whatever blank is available! ;)

5. den007

den007 Active Member

Well, my hand is 71/2 inches long….pretty average. That makes this head about 9 inches long.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I like Marty's response but, the head is approximately 2 times the length, from tip of mouth to back of gill cover of the thumb, from tip to wrinkle.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

i have really big hands. They're huuuuuuuuge!

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Cecil……you're starting to sound like Trump, well, you know what they say about guys with big hands, eh? Well, don't hurt anyone with your oversized appendages. ;)

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

LOL Denny! I was wondering if anyone got it.

As for the fish I don't believe it's 38 inches. I think closer to 34 inches.

10. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

This is on of my replicas. A 28" Coho. Just sayin

Attached Files:

11. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I would lean more towards this figure. Judging from the hand in pic holding it, I think its sub 30 anyway.

12. den007

den007 Active Member

Well crap, I get paid by the inch! Pretty sure it might be 50+ ;D

13. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    By the inch ------more like 80 inches +or minus an inch or 2.

14. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I would make it whatever he wants Den

15. Genie

Genie Member

That fish is longer than one of them 30 foot pine trees!

16. den007

den007 Active Member

I like that Genie! It is all about knowing distance from lens to image and having a reference object. Stick a fish close enouth to the lens, you can compare it to the size of a mountain! And, that guy is holding it much closer than the fellow in the background………now leaning towards the 30 inch max.

17. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

That fish is 31 1/4 inches long and weighs 10 pounds 9 ozs. Any one can clearly tell that.

18. Brian W

Whats the out the door time Matt?...lol

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Well, considering I don't do it anymore and I have no desire to do it, I would say a couple of years. Three years ago it would've been a couple of days, maybe sooner!

20. Brian W

You full time BigFoot hunting now....lol.