1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anyone know the formula ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Steven Klee, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Just wondering if anyone could help me with the formula for obtaining the size of a fish from a photograph. A client of mine would like to have a replica done for his father for Christmas of a redear he caught years ago. All he has is a photo, no measurements or weight. I recall there being a formula, I am just not familiar with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steven Klee

Ha, I guess I should have read Dennis ' s post before I posted. :eek: I do remember reading somewhere when I started taxidermy 15 years ago there was a formula for this. I just can't remember where.

3. Sotired

Sotired Active Member

In my experience, for something like a sunfish, it's ; 2lbs per hand width, or 4lbs per hand length, X 1.2 X the number of years since the fish has been caught.

This way, the little punkinseed the grandkid caught HAS to be at least a pound!
    and by yhe time he/she is in their 70s, that thing will have grown to a 20 pounder at least! ;D

This formula guarantees 'customer satisfaction'! ::)

~S

4. den007

den007 Active Member

You cannot have a formula without knowing distance of the fish, or relation to a background object. No magic formula. What I do know, the average male hand if it is in the picture constitutes 4 inches per 4 fingers in the pic. Without that, any other reference object of known size will help only if it is the same distance from the lens as the fish.

5. Steven Klee

I had reservations when I read about it years back, being a little bit of a photography buff myself. I was questioning and still question the depth of field aspect of having a formula ... But hey, I figured someone may know something I don't. Thanks Dennis, I think we are pretty much on the same page...

Best, Steve

6. Don't know anything about a formula per se but if you can see the hand holding the fish in the photo, the space from the first to the second knuckle on the pointer finger on an adult is about an inch.

7. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

just make him the biggest fish he can afford ;)