1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leaking Lifetone and Polytranspar Bottles?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gary R, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

Anyone else experience this? I'm talking brand-new, straight from the shipping box, 8-oz bottles of paint. Some don't leak and some leak like crazy when you are shaking them!

I found a quick, simple, and GREAT solution to the problem. Grab some of the water hose rubber gaskets from any hardware store. They sell them for about $2.50 for ten of them. The round rubber washers/gaskets like you stick into the end of a water hose spray handle, sprinkler, etc.

They fit inside the 8-oz paint bottle lids perfectly, and will NO LONGER leak. Works great! Surely I'm not the only one who was frustrated by this leaking!?

Hope this helps someone!

Gary

2. i spoke to van dykes and mckenzie over a year ago about the same thing.. at that time said never heard of any problem.. (polytranspar) leak everywhere.
    so was just putting it in old bottles.. might have to try the gasket..

3. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I noticed it too last month with new Lifetone bottles, you take the red cap seal out and they leak.. So I'm leaving the red seal in when they are not in use.. But yes, it stinks!!

4. Yep it sucks and has been going on for sometime now.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I quit trying to flip the cap open or trying to squeeze the water based paint bottles a long time ago due to clogging. So, I just open every bottle via twisting the whole cap off and pour the paint out. I keep a small pair of channel locks in my paint booth for finicky, gummed up caps. Which brings me to my point. I too noticed some of the newer paint bottles leaking when I shook them. I stumbled upon an easy solution. First couple of shakes of every new bottle gets shaken with a couple of paper towels over the cap just in case. If it leaks I make a mental note of it to repeat the paper towel deal next time I use it. Inevitably, since I unscrew my bottles every time and the paint is leaking from there and not the tiny opening the paint itself actually acts as a gasket as it builds up. The leaking culprits stop leaking after the first couple of times. Try it. Don't know if it'll work for lacquer based stuff though...

6. SpiritOfTheWild

SpiritOfTheWild New Member

YES! very frustrating will have to get some gaskets next time out, and can remember it.

7. 18 months or so ago I received an order from McKenzie , on opening the box I was faced with a red mess :mad: The red 1oz polytranspar waterbased had leaked ova the contents of the box . I took a pic of the offending bottle n leaked contents n emailed it to McKenzies . They happily re placed it though I had to pay the freight . The replacement had tape wrapped around the lid and was in a seperate plastic bag . I find that gill red doesnt have a very long shelf life either, it seems to evaporate quickly , I've since found a better alternative . ;)

8. I call and tell them EVERY TIME I order paint and they say the same EVERY TIME ! They have NEVER heard of this problem.

9. i spoke with Phil Helms at mckenzie today and he said i am the first to person he has heard with the leaking 8 oz paint bottles problem...mentioned i spoke with someone a year or so ago about it..
    he went and asked someone else in the back that used them and the guy started laughing as just yesterday he spilt paint all over when shaking a bottle..
    Phil said he will be looking into it..

10. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

I hate to pop the guys bubble at McKenzie...but I called them about this problem a few years ago. I just bought a case of bottles with the flip up spout in them. They are 4oz. bottles...but they don't leak. They used to sell these bottles in the supply catalogs...but no one sells them anymore either. If I wanted them I had to buy 48 of them. But they will get used.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    They are trying to save money so that they can lower their cost on the shipping side, because they are tired of reading about the bitching that is posted on here.
    It is a pain in the arse, I now have gill red spots on my ceiling, but I just thought maybe I didn't have the lid on right.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I wonder if this Phil guy is the one that blew me off when I had a problem with another product? (Fish Filler that won't set up.) If it is, he acts like he's God's gift to taxidermy, and I'm a ****ing moron.

Funny I've never heard of him in the general industry. But then again I'm just a commercial taxidermist that chases green ribbons with president's faces on them now.

I haven't had the paint bottle issues yet and hope I don't.

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Phil Helms is a stand up guy, you must of talked with someone else.

14. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Ditto Pescado. Maybe your Democrat attitude was showing at the time. Lol

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

O.K. fair enough.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Baaaaaaaaah!

17. den007

den007 Active Member

I called the manufactuer directly...........Chem Oddities. Contact Gene Hallett. 314-843-2523. I asked for a bunch of the spout type bottle caps and they send a bunch for free. Not a total solution, but when the caps get gummed up enough, I throw them out and replace. They may still leak at times as attested to by my multi-colored walls in my work area. Gasket sounds like an idea worth a shot! Not sure of the place is still Chem Oddities in name, but I still have a bunch of caps.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Those bottles are made in my hometown of Ligonier, Indiana. At least they were last time I talked to Gene.

19. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Maybe Mckenz thinks if the bottles leak you buy more paint? LOL

20. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Buy a stack of teflon tape from harbor freight for almost nothing. Remove cap, put about three layers of teflon tape on the threads and put cap back on. Problem solved.