1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating a soft tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by czykdbcz, Aug 5, 2016.

1. czykdbcz

czykdbcz Artist or just crazy

va
    I may be receiving a soft tanned Grey wolf. The customer would like to have a rug shell mounted and use it as a throw to say put on the back of his couch. That being said;
    This is at least ten years old and appears to be in great condition. Should I have any concerns re-hydrating the head neck portion?

2. I would be VERY carefull handling it, also I would put a diclaimer on the invoice ,, stating not resopnsable if it falls a part,, old tans can be tricky.

3. czykdbcz

va
    OH for sure that will be in writing. The leather is still very soft and supple

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had a 10 year old soft tanned bear that when rehydrated, wanted to shed. I handled it with kid gloves and the hair set after it dried. All kinds of things can happen. If you can do a test piece, that would be best.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

a pelt that old is one I would never want to play with.

One is, it would lose all elasticity cause most of it's essential oils will be lost and can't be put back in.

The tan is unknown and may never have been neutralized properly and as said above acid rot and would fall apart.

Being a wolf and a chance of knowing that I'm way to certain it would fall apart, I would try and sell him new.

6. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I rehydrate with Relax R from Knoblocs, Lipisolve 55(Tru-Bond) and salt. Add 2 oz. each, 1 gallon of water, 1/2 lb salt. As the guys state, best to test. Try a paw first. Good luck.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you INSIST on trying (I'm solidly in agreement w
    With Frank) don't try rehydrating that whole hide. I would spray the head/face area with StopRot and put just that area in a tightly sealed plastic bag overnight. Then get in and get out quickly with the rug shell.

8. czykdbcz

va
    Thanks guys for truly sound advice. I plan to try a spot somewhere near the cut line on the Hyde and see how that works out that way if it friggs up I can stop right there. I really never intended to rehydrate the entire thing. But I am deeply concerned for it. Frank I know I won't be able to sell him a new one of course he has a story behind it. George thanks for the stop rot idea.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stop Rot won't help if the hide is acid rotted. It WILL rehydrate it faster and safer.