1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lost Tanned Cape

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by HunterArchery, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Need done advice from the more experienced folks here.
    USPS lost my very first cape that I sent out and had tanned on its return trip back to me.
    Lucky it wasn't a clients or friends cape - but it was a nice huge rutted Montana whitetail cape for a shoulder mount I was going to mount with a massive Montana rack and a nice Revolution 'busted' pose shoulder form that I have ready to go.
    Sure the tannery will file a lost shipment claim with the post office - however in the meantime I am out nearly $200 that I have invested in this cape and no cape!
    Suggestions?
    Thanks!!!

2. 11th hour

11th hour Member

That's a tough pill to swallow. Hopefully they will track it down. I've bought several capes off the for sale section on this forum and Ebay with success. Folks are usually pretty proud of the true brutes though. Season is right around the corner and capes are pretty easy to come buy if you have a large circle of hunting friends and family. Also hang out at the local deer processor opening weekend and see what you can round up. May get lucky posting in the wanted section as well. Good luck.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As much as UPS may get a bad rap or two, I have never lost anything or had any order damaged using them, FedEx is also as good. USPS loses mail all the time. How many times do you send bills or letters out and they never get where you want them or they show up 4 months later.

4. I agree I don't use the U.S. Postal Service for anything ever I don't like him never have think they're a bunch of screw ups they lose more mail than they do deliver. Had I known this was going to be shipped to me this method I would've requested an alternate carrier and even paid extra for freight as it is. God knows I paid rate for them to be shipped to me!
    Today is the sixth day and still no movement Nora activity nor anywhere to be found. That doesn't surprise me honestly in the lease that. I don't expect that this package B found quite honestly in my opinion

5. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Maybe it was returned to the sender (Tannery) and got mixed in with other things. Also, I know when you send a package via USPS at a kiosk, they ask you if there are any animal parts inside. Maybe one of their dogs sniffed it out and it was being held. I was never sure if that stipulation includes tanned hides or finished (processed) taxidermy.

6. Well who knows at this point. If it's been returned to the Tannery he sure doesn't know about it or hasn't said that yet.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Always buy the insurance.

8. He did.. But I doubt be bought enuff to cover MY cost of the cape PLUS the $96 I paid for tanning and S&H & Insurance as well!
    Time will tell... But I bet the USPS doesn't reimburse him for MY loss of the price I paid from buying the cape from MY mentor Nick Glorioso!
    So I bet I sm going to get screwed in the end here.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

Last perishable items I sent out with USPS took 12 days and were rotten when arrived.i paid insurance .filed all paperwork never got squat.i lost over 300 worth of specimens .they were clients and my son's pieces.i don't care about the money they lost irreplaceable precious memories.no matter who you ship with its always a gamble.good luck to you hope it shows up for ya.

10. Thanks. Yeah that's the worst part of this. When I asked the tanner that I am going to need that cape replaced and like with a week or so with a long haired whitetail cape he got peed-off and basically said " You don't tell me what to do or bark orders at me!"
    I said "well you were the shipper that has the receipt for shipping with insurance I paid for it and you'd be the one to file the claim hopefully get reimbursed NOT ME!"
    And I can tell you as a prior salesman for 15 yrs and a RN for the last 18 yrs "the customer is always right" and I'd be fired on the spot if I ever spoke to one of my patients or clients that way or treated them so rudely whether they were right or wrong!
    Word of mouth goes a long way these days when someone has a bad experience with a firm.
    Next time I will use Tom King fot my tanning needs.

11. Cape arrived today believe it or not - no hair slippage, still cool and moist feeling. No bad odor - hair is tight all over the cape when pulling good on it!
    Can't believe it!
    WTH?

12. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I would hurry and get that sucker mounted then hop on a plane and head straight to Vegas before your good luck wears off. Seriously though good to hear. Post pics of the finished mount I would love to see it

13. Thanks big Dan. Well honestly I have to say the last couple weeks my luck has not been good at all. And this was going to be the icing on the cake for sure. I will definitely post pictures when we finish it. It's going to be an awesome mount with mentor and teacher Nicholas Glorioso Wildlife Taxidermy amounts here in NY.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If it was tanned, there should be no problem, if anything you would have to hydrate it as it might have dried out a bit.

15. Paul, actually I was quite shocked. The Cape was still nice and moist and actually cool to the touch which surprised me. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it had been packed in a Styrofoam container not sure but whatever the case it did survive it and it obviously is an exceptional tanned I have survived this that's for sure

16. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Cool to the touch and still moist , hell i think the tannery just shipped it the day before you got it. Lol

17. No they actually shipped Aug 1st as I say the shipping label and date on the carton.
    The USPS held the damn pkg just because the carton got damaged with the big hole in the side of it.

18. Genie

Genie Member

So ... Now what? Will you use the same tannery? I'll bet you are going to think twice before using the US Postal.

19. Whomever I choose to use next time I will insist on UPS or I won't do business with them.

20. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

If you're stil on talking terms with that tannery it shouldn't matter since they should easily be able accommodate a customers request to use a specified carrier. After all, you pay the cost of shipping which is incorporated in the total price per services.