1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How are Lake Country replicas

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

They look great online but has anyone used them?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I have had no issues with them. They finish out nice. I will say I have only used their premier line, I think it is called? been a while.

3. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

I like them! For a customer = GREAT! I just did a LMB for a state show last weekend. I thought it looked great, but the judge hit me pretty hard for it being a reproduction. But with all that aside, it's one of the better blanks I have purchased. And I have bought a LOT, while I am practicing and learning fish.

4. PigMan2

PigMan2 Member

I use them on all my customers reproductions and have also won a few blue ribbons with there Reproductions, great scale detail!! If you're going to do compitition work there maybe a little cleaning up to do on them.... A+

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Very hit and miss. Some are fine, some are junk. All of them are very very heavy. Most have terrible tail junction anatomy. For that kind of money there are better blanks out there.

6. If you dont mind me asking Cole whose blanks do you prefer. I have only used one of the lake country replicas and you are dead on on the tail junction. The fish body wasnt really that heavy but the head was. The wood on the inside was way off center of gravity so I had to add weight to the rear of the wall hung base to even it out.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Depends on what kind of fish you are looking for. New Wave has nice stuff. Envision 3D also has nice blanks. Dave Campbell is limited in what he has but his are outstanding. Jimmy Lawrence has some nice blanks, as well as Natural Casts. Sometimes you don't get a choice, and you just have to make it work.

8. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Cole did you have a problem with premier blanks?

9. I think Lake Country's quality has gone down hill over the last few years. Ready to paint used to be ready to paint. Now not so much. Unassembled premiers used to go together like a 5 year olds jig saw puzzle. I find myself grinding and grinding some more to get things to fit.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I actually prefer the signature series over the premier. The premiers are super heavy, and over tooled. A lot of the signatures are nice blanks...just need a little work. I don't mind doing a little work, I just don't like starting with a 17lb lump of tooled plastic.

11. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Been hit or miss for me also for all of the above reasons. Someone mentioned the wooden block being off center...well they don't use wooden blocks. They have nothing inside to anchor too, supposed to be able to hold screws well but scares the poop out of me. They are heavy. A fair amount of drawn or etched scales that don't match. And as said, fin and tail unions are not good a lot of times

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Some if not all of their signature series are conventional casts with wood blocks.

13. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

They can be hit or miss . for the most part they go together fast but a few lately I have had to do some tweaking. I've used some of the ARP ones from McKenzie and they went together in short order. Mark V.

14. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Never again ............

The last 2 times I bought blanks from LCR they were JUNK!

After I took pics of the one blank and posted them ..... then they admitted it was a practice blank.

Absolutely no quality control at their business.

Never again.

:)

Kerby...

15. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I have bought several coompletely finished trout from them and they were always great. I sold them no problem in a hurry.

16. nokes

nokes New Member

I have used many and never had any issues, very happy with the quality. Turn around time has always been good. Two to three weeks.