1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first habitat base

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by iowabowhunter, Aug 10, 2016.

1. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

Whats everyone think of this base. This is my first one so looking for some critics. My next base will be a buck and doe on fence post, and would like corn stalks and snow if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Busy. It took a while for me to realize that there was a yote in there. Less is more.

3. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Yep, what 3bears said. The plants and size of the box overwhelm the coyote in the design. You want the mount to be the focal point, and the habitat to complement it, but not overwhelm it. The colors look nice, just needs to be scaled down and simplified.

4. SpiritOfTheWild

SpiritOfTheWild New Member

It looks like you can see the saw cuts in the wood on the tops. If that's the case, I would make a topper for it. Basically just put some 1 1/2 inch boards on it horizontal 45ing the joints. That's what I always do when working with barnwood.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Nice idea and nice work but way too overwhelming.it takes away from the coyote too much.

6. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

when have you seen a single weed stem out of the earth? put several different sizes together in one spot and forget about the others

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

IMO if you are going for the look of a sneaky coyote peaking out of thick grass then I would ditch the pine cones and antler. Fill the open void below the coyote with a TON of grass to thicken it up and maybe add a limb. You don't want it to look like a free floating head. The easiest way to get critiques is to say what your idea was and go from there.