1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bears and auto tanners

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Aug 10, 2016.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I am 6 years into taxidermy and have not done bears yet. I hear a lot about grease and how hard they can be so I just said no to bears. I have 3 friends going bear hunting this fall and more than likely will each get one. they are looking at me to do them. lol What are your thoughts can I get them tanned and degreased with auto tanner? they don't seem that hard to mount because no antlers and I would think very little sewing. Im looking for any advice from you guys who do them. and also do you measure them the same as deer? Thanks again for all the help these past years

2. striker12

striker12 Member

Best advice I can give is send them out to have tanned . And make sure you get the right size forms . Bears are not hard but they can be tricky to get done right .

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Read the my bear smells thread before you take on bear tanning and then look in the archives and the post by George Roof, I think in the tutorial section. It's a good read.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

If you are just doing lifesize or heads you can get away with it but if you are rugging send them out!

5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I was planning on only doing shoulder mounts.and not even messing with rugs or halves yet. I think I remember something about extra scour added for bears. that was to help cut some grease. any truth to that?
    Thanks

6. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I don't understand a part of this . . . you have very little taxidermy experience. 6 years isn't much and you have zero experience with bears so you do the wise thing and ask. Then after your question is answered you have an argument so to speak. Here's the bottom line commercial tan your friends bears do a good job mounting them. Charge them enough to cover your expenses and make a couple bucks and gain the experience. Winner . . . Winner. This why folks get bent out of shape when questions are not answered. If you don't know you don't know we've all been there. If you know it all already then why ask? You owe it to your friends and all the people you do work for to do the best job you can. We tell you to commercial tan them because we know in this case it's the best method. JMO

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have home tanned bear capes for shoulder mounts in the past. Some turned out nice, others not so nice. I decided that a commercial tan was really the best way to go. Of course you gotta pick a good bear tannery. I've gotten bears back with shredded ears, all the epidermis missing, nose missing, chin and lips missing, and round knife holes all over the face until I found the right one. Actually, when I say I, I mean we, because I bring my stuff to a taxidermist friend and he sends my two or three capes out with his 50 to 100 capes. I can't remember the name of the tannery as I haven't sent a bear out for a couple of years as I don't do them anymore.

8. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

sorry critter stuffer I wasn't arguing anything. Ill be the first to admit I need help with a lot of things and that is why I come to you guys for help. I do have a auto tanner and like it very much for deer.as I was reading the replies to my question the scour question popped into my head so I asked it. I wasn't ignoring anyones advice but if I don't ask how do I know. Thanks again for the advice.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

drwalleye, I sent you a PM.

10. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Tanglewood hey thanks a lot I got it. I appreciate it that is why I wanted to question my auto tanner because I hear things about getting stuff back from tannery with holes or missing pieces. and they all have declaimers so its not there fault. at least by doing it myself I only have myself to blame for any extra work. Last fall I sent my first full deer hide in to have done as a throw blanket thing and it came back with no tail. and that is a beautiful part of doing a full hide. so anyways thank you for all your help. but I am going to send my friends bears in and hope I get all the parts back

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Make sure you use a good commercial degreaser and you will be fine for shoulder mounts. Send rugs to the tannery

12. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Absolutely you can do bears in a autotanner I do all the time. It's all in the procedure you use. It takes time to do bears whether it's at a commercial tannery or in house.I use the trubond tanning system in conjunction with the autotanner. If you would like PM me for my instructions. Yes I do my own rugs as well with good results. Mark V.