1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Altering a deer neck to a 90

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by taflinger, Aug 13, 2016.

1. What is the easiest way to alter a deer neck to a 90 degree turn? I'm just a part-time garage hack and don't know squat about form alterations. Any help would be appreciated.

2. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

Theres a altering post in the tutorial section that is pretty good

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Few things to remember...the vertebras flex very little- then movement comes from the shoulders and the atlas.

The spine doesn't change length. Cut a string before you alter, and check it when finished.

Cut the neck off the shoulders in a "v". Remove wedges until you have what you need. Screw it together, then foam. I like to drill holes with a spade bit through the pieces I'm foaming to make sure the foam gets everywhere. Use pallet wrap to make a dam.

Attached Files:

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The majority of the movement of the spine will come from the junction of the spine and skull and at the shoulders. The rest of the spine has minimal movement. It will flex and rotate slightly but the two other points is where the action happens.

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You could spend all darn day trying to alter a form or throw it in the corner for future use and order a 90 degree form for 45 bucks.and get to mounting it. But since you said you don't know squat about alteration this may be a good time to learn even if it takes all day to get it Anatomically correct.

6. There are a lot of new forms out over the past few years that look like the neck is broken, view your form from the top and you will easily see how to correct that.

7. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

X2 Hammer and John....

8. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

The "easiest way" is to buy a form closest to your final position. Then alterations be greatly reduced.

9. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Just so you know a deer only has 7 vertebrae in its neck and only 2 move. Just so you don't go cutting 10 spots like everyone dose.

Attached Files:

• deer.png
      deer.png
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

That picture is exactly what I was describing in my earlier post.