1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Appraisal Help For Something Really Rare!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by The bone collector, Aug 15, 2016.

1. OK Im going to start be saying that I already have ALL Federal paperwork allowing me to sale this skull!
    That being said I need a little help because I've never sold anything this rare before. It is a Real Black Rhino skull it is missing a few teeth and it has fiberglass horns. Over all it is in amazing condition it is a full skull with jaw. So what do you think? I have a few interested parties but I need a number and I don't even know where to start.
    I can't get a photo to load but ill keep trying.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Use Photobucket to post big, nice pictures. It is just the skull and not a mount with hide on it?

You have to really make darned sure you can sell that. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/26/local/la-me-skull26-2010jan26

3. As I said I have all Federal Paperwork in order. and Im sure its a skull, not a taxidermy mount. Thanks for the advice on photobucket

[​IMG]]

[​IMG]]

4. AH7

AH7 New Member

Wow. No clue what it is worth, but I'll give you $1000 for it.

5. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

I have seen one offered at Ebay UK for 15 000 GDP. But I Don' t know whether it got ever sold. In Germany, an elephant skull had been sold for 10 000 Euros.
    Of course, please sell only if completly and 100% legal.

6. Sea Wolf

Those prices seem a bit insane. The elephant in the article had an asking price of $3000 and it apparently had small tusks. The skull has repro horns, isn't in prime shape so the offered price of $1000 might not be too far off. Then again, things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. The skull might be legal for sale but it will have to be sold within the state boundaries of where it's located now. It can not be sent out of state or out of the country. Same as the elephant above.

7. The paperwork I have will allow it to be sold anywhere in the U.S. and the elephant isn't extinct animal. Also not having the real horns actually makes it a lot easier to sale. Ivory isn't easy to sale in the U.S. The last Elephant skull I saw was a big bull with fake tusks and it went for almost $24,000 at auction about 6 months ago. I sale lion and polar bear skulls for $900 regularly. I think the $1000 offer wasn't far off just missing another '0" ;)

8. Sea Wolf

Neither is the black rhino. But, as you sale polar bear skulls regularly I think maybe you will find a good buyer soon for it.

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

For the record, I also think you might be able to get more money than my offer. I would be ASTONISHED if you could get $10,000 for it. If you do, please update us. (You can get wooly rhino skulls in better condition than that one for less money!)

BUT... as SW says, something is only worth what you can get for it! If you insist on $10,000 I think you will be sitting on it for a very long time. Good luck to you. I am very interested to hear what these kind of things can bring in.

(As an academic who gets 90% of my stuff, e.g., whole gorillas, for free for my work, I am TERRIBLE at putting monetary value on things!)

10. I'll give you $1500!

11. The last black Rhino went extinct in the wild almost 3 years ago. They hope to rebuild the wild population with what remains in zoos.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/world/africa/rhino-extinct-species-report/

As for the 10 grand I don't think I'll get that either, but man that would be great. but for now it's not going anywhere for $1500. it was a lucky find and I have next to nothing in it, So I think Ill let it wait around for a while. Besides it looks really cool in the shop.

12. Sea Wolf

If you *read* that report, they refer to "Western". There are several subspecies of black rhino and the western was only one. I'll let you do the rest of the reading yourself. The Black Rhino as a whole is not extinct and you would have to send your skull to someone to have it DNA tested to prove what subspecies that it is. You take more chances than you know in selling that to someone out of your state. You really need to talk to the Feds USF&W. Not your locals or anyone from your state as what they say regardless does not apply.

13. I really Don't know how many more times I have to say this but why not once more. I Have all "Federal" paperwork in order including an export tag. this isn't my first rodeo.
    But thanks

Beababy likes this.
  14. AH7

AH7 New Member

I'm glad you have experience with the rodeo. SW's advice to be cautious about selling a critically endangered high profile mammal is valuable. Even if you have your ducks in a row, it is still good to put that caution on t.net for the next guy reading this.

Again, something is worth only what you can get from it, and if you value it more than the best offer, then yours is the top value. Congratulations, you have a sweet piece! Thanks for letting us see it. It certainly it a cool thing and I wish I had one in our collection too!

15. You make a very good point, this is not something to mess with if you don't have your ducks in a row. Anyone reading this understand I have a lawyer that knows his shit and I had USF&W (Federal Agents) In my shop, on the phone, emailed, snail mailed. Basically I was in contact with them in every way possible for about 3 months. We have a great relationship with our local agents and this was still a difficult process. If you ever have a doubt in your mind if something is legal to buy/sale DON'T google it contact your local USF&W office ASAP. If your not familiar with the local or federal laws that is no excuse, they will still be happy to haul your ass in. And keep in mind every state is different, I can buy and sale all the bear skulls i want here but take them to WA and sale them? $500,000 and 5 years time is a real possibility. So Yeah, even if this post seems like a broken record, its better to have a reminder than cuffs.

As for the kind of Black Rhino Im sorry that i wasn't clear that's my fault. The hunting permits and export tags from 1969 that came with the skull are from an area of Africa that lead all involved to the conclusion that it can only be a Western black rhino. Another lesson for anyone reading this is that I can only own and sale this (paperwork excluded) because it was hunted 21 years before that Black rhino was considered endangered. if it was taken last year (if some how it was legal) you're never going to see it sold or leave the state.

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I can get a price tag on this thing.......one day ;)

16. AH7

AH7 New Member

Why don't YOU put a price on it and maybe someone on here either would take it or knows someone who might?

17. Beababy

Beababy New Member

Hi, sorry getting back straight on this post with a different issue but I am new here and my time to deal with this is running out... do you have any information about waterbuffalo skulls and export them from Thailand to Germany? Thanks for your help

18. Sea Wolf

Dragging up an 4 year old post from 2016 isn't going to help you. Better to make a new post with your specific question. This is a post about appraisal for value. Not import/export.