1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mechanical tail

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by catman, Aug 19, 2016.

1. catman

catman Active Member

I have a guy that wants his cougar tail to twitch. I have a friend that builds a lot of R/C planes and he mocked up a motorized device, but the action is in and out with the cable. Has anyone had any experience with tail twitching robotic devices?

2. Allie

Allie Active Member

Well, it's not twitching, but I always wanted to make a dog's tail wag. I quickly realized I need to learn enough taxidermy to make the dog itself look good, first, so I haven't gotten around to the mechanical part yet. But it was fun thinking about it. I was going to use a window wiper motor. You can get them cheap from a junkyard. The rear wiper motors are usually smaller and you can run them from a 12v battery that would be easy to hide inside the mount. I imagine you could tweak it so it is jumpy, maybe by removing some of the gear teeth or even bending a couple slightly.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Here you go
    http://geekologie.com/2016/06/meow-battery-powered-twitching-cat-tail.php

4. vic h

vic h Active Member

Oh geeze Jerry why did you show that thing??!! Now Kathy will have to create a whole new category for the World Show! Boy is she gonna be ticked!
    AT YOU! Nice knowing ya.........

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Jerry.

Phil, just gotta ask however; how does this guy think he's going to prevent that tanned skin from cracking and breaking? I see putting windshield wipers on a cat's ass isn't that far fetched at all.

6. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I guess you could cut off the real tail off and use a faux fur tail like the one shown.. Now getting the color and texture to look real would be the challenge

7. catman

catman Active Member

I have it figure out. I have this MIT guy that engineered the motorized portion. His motor pulls a cable with a remote, but the jointing of the segments of the last 10 inches of the tail with silicone encased segments was what I wanted to avoid. A lot of extra work, a lot of extra expense.

8. Allie

Allie Active Member

Please post photos or video when you're finished.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jerry, just the fact that you posted that link has me concerned. Is there something we should know about?

10. John L

John L Active Member

Well if you buy the twitching cats tail device and soft tan and break the tail stuffed with poly might just work. Never know.

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Just give him a pair of these. Us older guys dreamed of these as kids.

[​IMG]

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I think if the tail skin were soft-tanned, and if it weren't attached to the form so that it could slide some rather than crease, then it might be able to flex quite a few times without cracking.
    Being mounted over a soft polyfil filling might accomplish the same thing.

Pictures when it's done, please! :)