1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crazy Collectors

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by nuclearjunky, Aug 21, 2016.

1. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

They were bidding on it as if it was a thylacine skull. Just crazy: http://www.ebay.de/itm/XL-KOALA-SKULL-MASSIVE-MALE-A1-COND-RARE-AUSTRALIAN-TAXIDERMY-HUNTING-SCHAEDEL/172302370070?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D80232927e41d476792a6d5f4f8abe33a%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Des%26sd%3D162171371143&autorefresh=true

2. AH7

AH7 New Member

Not too crazy. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and if two people are willing to pay a lot, then auctions get up there! I've seen common baboon skulls sell for that much in auctions. Rich people do crazy things.

But... a million years ago, when I was a graduate students and ebay was just a few years old, someone DID sell a thylacine skull on there. My bid of $1500 represented a couple months rent and my wife was not happy, but I lost the skull of course. It sold for almost $3000. Now, I'm sure many of us on here would spend way more than that on one (even if our wives would still kill us), but that will live on as one of the ones that got away! Alas.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It is not crazy at all. You are now dealing with an endangered species and a specimen that you just can not get. Koalas are dying at a rapid rate due to some transmissible disease. Some skulls are worth quite a bit and those values can change in time. Matter of fact, I have one of these myself, along with legal documents, and will probably also be selling it on eBay as I need to thin down my collection somewhat. Might also just list it on here but it would be at least $2000.

4. nuclearjunky

nuclearjunky Member

A koala skull is just the size of a beaver' s, looking not too spectacular. Especially museums urgently need rarer specimens but are unable to acquire them at such prices as their econimic ressources are just to small to spend such an amount on such a skull.
    An example I experienced in Germany: a taxidermist had a skeleton of a snow leopard male of very large size, a very invaluable addition to any scientific sample. He asked 3800 euros for the unmounted bones. Any museum would love to add this to a collection - but they just can' t as they don't have the money. So it goes to some rich private collector instead and will be lost to science.

Further, placing such high prices on bone Material will support illegal trade. If you can get so much Money with rare animals, shady individuals will join in the market and illegal trade will such be indirectly supported.

No problem with trade in rare animals if it is legal and ethical - and at fair and realistic prices. I know some taxidermists here who consequently follow these principles- but others dont.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Sadly, skulls are not priced according to size. As for museums acquiring specimens, they rarely ever pay for them. Deceased animals go to universities and museums all the time ... for free. Including koalas, snow leopards, gorillas, tasmanian devils and any number of other extremely rare animals. Captive animals that die in public exhibits do not go to waste. Nor are they sold. They are donated to institutions that would like to have them. It is the private collectors that have to pay for the occasional rare specimen that pops up from time to time.