1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pike with no teeth

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Aug 22, 2016.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I got a northern in and cant find any teeth on the lower jaw. its a big 40 incher and would look a lot better with teeth. I usually can dig around in the gum line and dig them out. I dug deep and cant find any. what can I use to make teeth? I heard of plastic forks but id need to sharpen them and not sure if paint will stick to plastic. and I use silicone caulk for smaller teeth but not sure if it will work for big pike teeth. any ideas would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use plastic fork. Will take paint far better than silicone.

3. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

What about many of the artificial teeth mix's to replace them???

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I use plastic fork tines as a foundation with a little Apoxie Sculpt to build them up to look more realistic. I've never had any issues with paint adhering where the plastic is exposed. Use white forks just in case though - lol!

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I make my exclusively out of Apoxie Sculpt or Magic Sculpt. Make them ahead of time and let dry. Then super glue them in place. Small teeth use whie caulking.

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I'm with Cecil. Epoxy sculp rolled out on a piece of plastic film. When it begins to set up I take sharp knife and score out the teeth I need...shapes..and sizes and let them harden. Then snap them off as I need them and superglue them in place. You can even mix a bit of white or bass belly white lacquer into the mix as you work it up as a base color. Just sand the rough edges if you need to and finish painting them. I make shark teeth the same way to fit a repro. Good luck JL

7. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

thanks I will do the epoxy tonight great idea

8. FishArt

Just tell your customer that he/she caught a really old pike and they lose their teeth when they reach a certain age. A true trophy - lol!

9. den007

den007 Active Member

I have to wonder about water based paint adhering to a plastic fork. I have not used these, most the old Bond0 Pull technique, but I would think the plastic would make water based paint bead up unless coated with Mod Podge or something.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Maybe it doesn't matter as the teeth are kind of white anyway and the real teeth get white overspray on them when painting the inside of the mouth?

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

So Cecil does this mean you don't clean the overspray in your mounts?

12. FishArt

WHITE over-spray in the mouth of a pike can probably slide by JL - lol!

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No I'm a liberal, we don't worry about the small stuff JL. LOL

14. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

Pike lose their teeth in the winter usually and grow back by spring. I use bondo and gelcoat to recreate them on replicas. Mark V.

15. Sounds like this pike had an issue.....maybe I can get my lab technician to make him a nice set of pike dentures......