1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tan or dry preservative

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Sammarchese39, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Sammarchese39

Sammarchese39 New Member

What do you guys like best tanning or dry preservative on Whitetail shoulder mounts

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

Your going to get a 1000 different opinions.both work really great.it comes down to what works best for you.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

DP for me!

4. denatured alcohol, spray,flesh,spray and mount.

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use dry preservative.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Tanning, started off with dry preserve 20 years ago on 2 deer, commercial or home tanning ever since on all animals..

7. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Just curious Paul, why the switch? And once you did what method of home tanning did you end up with that suited you the best?
    :-\

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Liquid tan, which I let dry out after applying tan. I hydrate after a week, seem to get more stretch that way and the newer directions states to use it that way. EZ 100 is also a good tan and is a submersible, use it also.

9. dry preserve is alot easier for beginners, with that being said you can turn a very good quality mount with dry preserve also. I use it on most of my mounts. krowtann works well too and is pretty easy to use, but follow directions to the tee. I suggest to try both ways and see which one you like best.

10. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

Whats the best DP to use on whitetail?

11. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I've used a few different kinds from other suppliers but I settled on Second 2 Nature's preservative. It is listed on their website as "Dry Tan Preservative".

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have heard that Bess Maid Dry Preserve is the best. I either tan or have tanned most everything I do, however, I have used Research Mannikins Dry Preserve on small critters and birds with great success.

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Bess Maid is a great DP, but the mothball smell will permeate your shop. I use Second-2-Nature DP.

14. I personally have never used DP on anything bigger than a squirrel. I was using a commercial tan and it was awesome. But now I tan in shop using McKenzie's Brush-On tan and it works great and produces a fine mount. In shop tanning is a little more work but but produced faster results for faster productivity. Just my $.02

15. [size=12pt]I have been told by my mentor that a dry tan does not preserve the cape properly from hair slippage, spoiling, etc. as a professional commercial wet tannery can do.

???
    [/size]

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

HunterArcher, a dry tan IS a wet tan that has been finished out. A dry tan and DP are two different things. Of all the DP critters I have done and worked with, I have never come across one with those issues. A PROPERLY done DP mount can last a life time, if you keep it dry, out of the sun, and bug free. The same can be said of a PROPERLY tanned mount. A tanned hide that was not properly done can have those issues too.

I once worked on a bobcat that a customer brought in that a mouse had eaten the nose and wanted it fixed. It was a horribly done mount as far as the face went. So I offered to fix the whole head and he agreed.

I rehydrated the head and cut the skin around the neck and up the back to remove just the head skin. The skin was DP'd, unfleshed, nothing but the ears were split, the eyes and lips still had the "meat" around them, perfectly preserved, card board for earliners.

He also left the bones in the feet and up 1/3 of the legs. The foot pads and toes still had meat on them perfectly preserved, no smell, no issues.

I fleshed the head out real good, fixed the eyes, ears, lips and such, DP'd the head, and sewed it back on and it was a nice cat. That was ten or more years ago. It is still in great condition.

Thing is that cat was mounted many years before it was brought to me and was kept in a cabin that was unheated and most likely damp for most of the year. And that was on an IMPROPERLY mounted and DP'd skin.

17. NO KIDDING??? OK i'm going to have to try it for sure. Thanks for the information I do appreciate it.

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The main reason I like to tan rather than DP, is because the tanned cape does most of it's shrinking in the tan, were as a DP'd skin does most of it's shrinking on the form. You can stretch a tanned hide, glue it down a the shrinkage is controlled with minimal effort, where as you really need to keep after a Dp'd shin as it dries, not so much squirrels and such, but medium sized mammals and game heads. Let stop rot be your friend when using DP.