1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to build a tail

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by iowabowhunter, Aug 24, 2016.

1. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

Getting ready to do my first full body coyote mount. Whats a good thing to wrap the wire with to build the tail back up. Or is there another way. Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use cotton batting and string mainly but if I have a chunk of bird neck, I will use that at the base.

3. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

Thanks. Do you glue to it or just sew and leave it?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I sew it and leave it as is mostly but on occasion I will inject glue from the base.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you skin the tail out, one of the fastest ways is to use clay. When you pull the tail, keep it as reference. I use copper wire out of an electric conduit. I prefer the 10 gauge. Take some potters clay and cover the wire. add and substract clay as you roll the wire in it. Match the tail as closely as possible and put it in the freezer. Get your hide ready to mount. Get some hide paste and QUICKLY coat your frozen clay tail and then shove it into the skin. The paste will lubricate the clay without shifting it. Once installed, wrap a piece of tape around the excess wire at the tail base so the clay doesn't slip out or the wire move on you. Then run a stitch through the tape to insure it while you complete the mount. Once mounted, you can bend the tail any way you'd like.

6. iowabowhunter

iowabowhunter Member

So you dont split the tail all the way down?

7. I have a pretty different way of making my own tail that works great, its cheap and fast. I don't skin the tail all the way down I pull the tail bone right out of the skin that way its one less thing to sew. Keep the tail in the freezer until you are ready to mount the animal and the pose you want. Take the tail and lay it on the table and cover it with hot glue to make a mold, you don't have to cover the part that is touching the table. Then once the hot glue is completely cooled take the tail out, cover the inside with paste wax as a release agent and place a wire in the mold all the way to the tip of the tail. I then cover the part that was against the table with a really sticky duct tape to just keep the foam from being too messy. Mix up a two part polyurethane foam, it wont take much, it only takes about 1 tablespoon of each for a raccoon tail. Pour the foam into the mold you made and let set up until it is dense enough to pull out of the mold but still somewhat flexible so you can bend it into the position you need for the form you are using. Then if it is too thick at any part to fit into the tail it is as easy as rasping it down a little.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Sounds like a lot of work.

9. Piece of wire, chuck it in the drill, drill on slow, spray glue stick some cotton batting on it and wrapped by powering the drill up.

10. It sounds like a lot when I have to type the steps all out but its really very easy and quick and the mold is reusable for any other animal of the same relative size. The longest part of any of the process is just waiting for the glue to cool and then the 10 to 20 minutes you wait for the foam to set. Which in the time your waiting you just go about your business working on other things. Its what I use for all my competition pieces and commercial work and its fail proof in the competition room.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I roll out a tail with a lump of clay, it takes about 15 seconds. Like George I freeze mine, but unlike him I don't add a wire until the mounting process. To each his own, and no one way is the only way, but this is what is by far the fastest and best results for me.

12. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Stick a 10 g wire, several inches longer than the tail, in a drill. Tie a string to the wire. Run drill with one hand and guide the string around the wire with the other. Creating a smooth tapered tail.

13. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've been doing the same way as Keith for 50 years with no problems, however I put one end of the wire into the drill chuck and the other end I stick into a cardboard box. The box keeps the wire from "whipping" as I run the string up and down the wire. Works great for me. Good luck....JL

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Stupid me I've been wrapping the string on the wire by hand. Thanks Kieth for the heads up, you saved me some tennis elbow issues. So simple I never thought of it.

15. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

That box idea is great. Thanks.

16. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZF6k3gCTpQ