1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

CWD law for Louisiana

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by BrookeSFD16, Aug 24, 2016.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Just got official word that Louisiana is looking to adopt new laws concerning CWD. According to LADWLF we do not have CWD in the State. Their proposal is conflicting with other states laws, which they say will have to be worked out.

Their proposal is that ANY deer killed in another state must be skinned completely off the skull, horns/antlers removed and the skull plate dried and all meat must be deboned prior to coming back into Louisiana.

I know some of y'all's states have adopted similar laws. How has it affected your Taxidermy business? No skull mounts anymore obviously. Also what about meat processors? Any input would be appreciated.

LADWLF said they have a meeting set up with the Louisiana Taxidermy Association to discuss the new laws, but I haven't heard yet when that will be.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    MN recently restricted any and all importation of whole carcasses from anywhere. They already had a restriction on any cervidae from areas known to have CWD. I feel it does cause a loss of potential income for in state taxidermists and meat processors but does potentially help taxidermists in other popular states that folks travel to hunt in. To me, that seems not right. Pass laws that restrict residents, that pay taxes, from earning income, because they are in fear of a disease that is already here, and was likely introduced here because of an oversight by the government. Oh yeah and get this, they expect us to educate our customers and turn down potential money and turn in anyone who breaks that law. I get it, it is a nasty disease for any and all that it may infect. It seems that we not only have to fight the anti's but also the government just to survive. Why?

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

What has always amazed me is how states that put these bans in place don't even realize that they're barking to the wrong audience. Think about it. Many out-of-state hunters don't hunt at all in their home state. Why on earth would a states DNR post on their OWN website restrictions for importing deer from another state??? DO they think that out of state hunters will check their in-state DNR website? The answer is most out of state hunters don't. SO, these hunters get a big surprise when they get back home and no processor or taxidermist can take their deer. So, what do they do? They process it themselves and probably place a larger risk of spreading the disease because they don't have proper disposal. Personally, I am pretty sure CWD is everywhere and I believe much of these restrictions are "feel good" moves that are meaningless and do nothing to control the spread of CWD. And, in fact probably do the opposite...

4. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

KS has had this law in place for quite a while. It actually has increased my out of state business. It drives them to my shop to get them caped out, theres $! And once they are in the shop, a high percentage just decide to leave them for me to do. I used to do 1-2 out of stated deer a year; now it's closer to 10/year. No law is going to be perfect, but we live in a CWD state, even though it's not been recorded in my area. And believe it or not, most hunters from out of state who I've come in contact with are well aware of KS being a CWD state and what they need to do to be legal.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

It takes a year or two before some hunters find out and learn about it (the hard way). But, in it's (CWD) infancy (at least this side of the Mississippi) it took many years for hunters and processors and taxidermists to catch on to these new regs for those hunters coming back with out-of-state deer. Many out-of-state hunters weren't checking their in state DNR websites. (Why would they???) The level of communication probably varies from state to state too depending on each states budget. Kansas a big deer hunting state and surrounding states with CWD falls into the educated category with CWD. I'll bet LA is much like things were for the surrounding states of Wisconsin when CWD popped up there. However, I'll bet LA doesn't have many out of state hunters so the impact is probably minimal. Point being is posting restrictions on an in-state website for out-of-state hunters is not the best way to get the word out...

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cory, you gave an example of what I was stating, these laws do help some, in states that are popular hunting destinations but hurt others.
    Guess what, making it illegal does not stop it from happening. If the government wishes to curtail it, they must educate the masses, not make criminals out of the citizens of the state, that pay their damn salary. By implementing these feel good laws they themselves are to blame for the decline of resident and nonresident hunters.

7. Here in NY they restrict all out of state animals no brain , spine, tissue can come in, BUT who checks on this NO ONE !!!! I have had clients bring in elk and deer from other states, and my local game warden has seen the raw skulls and says nothing, guess it's a judgement call for the officer if they want to do the paper work or not, just a lot of bull crap,,, just like we can't move fire wood more than 50 miles because of the emerald ash bug, but loggers can haul logs anywhere as far as they need to,, 100 miles or 500 miles,,legislative A holes,,

8. damonkus

damonkus Member

cWD
    The biologist job security program

9. And here is the problem,
    1. Out of state head comes to your shop.
    1.A. Take it in handle it and sent the remains to a line land fill.

2. You do the right thing and refuse it.

3. Customer takes down the road.
    3.A. Finds another taxidermist.
    3.B. Buries the head in the ground (possibly contaminating the ground with CWD prion that is almost impossible to kill.

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Alabama has a new law on the books this year similar to the one LA is proposing. Luckily I don't do enough 'western' species to worry about it, but I have had years when the 'western' stuff has came in early in the fall to jump start the year! Mostly mule deer and antelope. I'm sure if any show up this year the people will give you a blank stare when you ask them about it. Kinda like bobcats needing to be tagged, "What, I've never heard that?" they say. I've known this since 1979 because I read the regulation book I guess.

11. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Just wait until the regulations come down determining and dictating the way that we taxidermists are allowed to dispose of deer heads, brain tissue and deer body parts.. This will be a huge burden..
    There has already been talks, here in Texas, of heads and parts having to be incinerated.. Oh boy..