1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Garbageman hates us - what do you do about smell?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mrougeaux, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Has anyone else's garbage company refused to pickup at your taxidermy shop? We are located in an urban area and are required to pay for trash pickup twice a week, yet in the past 3 weeks, we've had missed pickups 4 times! Now that season is here, we've got lots and lots of heads sitting out on the street to be picked up, which sit in black trash bags on black asphalt in the Las Vegas sun. Does anyone have tips or tricks on keeping the smell down until it's picked up? Since charcoal is a smell-eliminator, I thought about crushing up some charcoal briquettes and pouring some in the bags with the heads. I'm pretty much willing to try anything at this point!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have a dumpster that's emptied every Friday morning (2:30-3:00am). During hot weather, we freeze everything and put in the dumpster the night prior to pickup...no stink, no flies. In the cool season, we just pile it in there as it comes.

3. Funny that you mention freezing it, because that's what we used to do. And the garbage man complained that it was too heavy and skipped pickup for that reason! I'm starting to think that we just can't win, but unfortunately there is only one trash company available in our area.

4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Twice a week pickup and the trash can's are still too heavy?

We also freeze in the summer. In the winter we have to bag everything so it doesn't turn into one big meat sickel. Sometimes those cans are so heavy we can barely wheel them out from the building. The trucks here are automated.

5. We actually split up the bags so that they're not as heavy, and they still complained! The residential pickups are automated, but the commercial pickups are not. The city tells us that the area we are in is primarily residential and won't allow us to have a dumpster out front; they want it back behind our parking lot, but the garbage company won't pick it up back there. Plus they'd only pick up once a week, and a metal dumpster full of heads and carcasses in the Las Vegas sun would still have it stinky! It doesn't really get "cool" out here until November-December, so we've still got quite a few months of heat - and likely missed pickups.

6. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

There should be a rendering company that picks up grocery, restaurant waste, etc. in the LV area. look in your phone book and call them. That is who we use.

7. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Id find a new trash man and tell that one you have a paperboy that comes every morning. A rendering company here charges $10- a barrel
    to pick up or you can take it to them and dump for free.

8. Genie

Genie Member

Funny that you mention freezing it, because that's what we used to do. And the garbage man complained that it was too heavy and skipped pickup for that reason! I'm starting to think that we just can't win, but unfortunately there is only one trash company available in our area.

The garbage company can't really think that it's heavier when frozen! Must just be the size of the containers/bags.☀️

9. Freeze your garbage then don't put it out until its dark the night before. and give the garbage person a gift card around the holidays.

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

same weight frozen or raw

11. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Thanks for clearing that up museum man................ :-X..............then again this is a taxidermy site.

12. Trust me, I realize it's the same weight frozen or not. Just simply stating the excuses we hear. I tried looking up rendering services in our area and so far have found nothing. I've got a cal into a couple restaurants around us to see what they do, just waiting on answers back. I have to call them again today to see why the supervisor never called me back,I'm intrigued to see what the new excuse is!

13. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

We freeze in the summer and put in the night before. Never an issue. Sounds like you should individually bag and do the same. We have a freezer especially for this purpose. When we were doing a high volume of fish we had a lot more problems than we do now. Winter is of course different in the North so we have no issue. Fill the dumpster and whalaa. Mark V.

14. RTF

RTF Active Member

I gots family in the business and they just picked up. They better keep picking up if the want their work done too. Family or no family.

15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Certainly try to minimize the smell and wait for them so you can help them load it up. Then slip the guy a $10 and tell him "lunch is on me, Buddy!".

Repeat this once a month or as needed. A little grease goes a long way.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

We just freeze and put out like everyone else. If I get too much, I take it with me when I go to the mountains and dump it on our property up there. Animals take care of it.