1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain goat cape blood

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jimss, Aug 27, 2016.

1. jimss

jimss Active Member

I have a fresh life-sized mountain goat cape with blood in the shoulder area. It is frozen. I was wondering if it is worth thawing and washing the blood off or is it best to just send it in to have tanned and let them deal with the blood? I thought about soaking the worse areas in water and then blow drying? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. jimss

jimss Active Member

I thought there would be an easy yes or no to the question? I'm not a game taxidermist so wasn't quite sure if rinsing with water would do something to the hide. I would immediately freeze it again once I get the blood off and get it dried off with a hair drier.

3. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I would not thaw it and re-freeze it just to wash the blood off. If you are going to do all the prep work (fleshing, turning ears/lips, fleshing scent glands, etc., just do it then before salting/drying to send to the tannery. If you intend to send it "raw/frozen" to the tannery, they are used to handling bloody mountain goat capes. Unlike hollow-haired Dall sheep, goat hair is fairly easy to remove blood stains from. Either way, any tannery experienced in mountain goat tanning will have no problem dealing with it.

4. jimss

jimss Active Member

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it may be easiest to leave it like it is and have it cleaned up in the tanning process.