1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Techniques

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TheBoneGirl, Aug 27, 2016.

1. TheBoneGirl

TheBoneGirl Member

For those of you who tan your own hides for mounts, what methods do you use? I am used to tanning skins for wallhangers but as I'm getting into mounting my own hides I'd like to learn how to tan for lifesize.

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I use the same method for fur dressing, fur pieces, garment, wall hangers, and mounting whole mammals, the only thing different finishing.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I currently use Knbloch's acid pickle, Liqua tan tanning agent and Liqua soft oil. I used to used to use EZ100 tanning agent along with the acid and oil that came in the kit. The finished product is the same, it just seemed that Liqua tan fit the way way I work better.

4. RTF

RTF Active Member

X2

5. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I use a Formic acid pickle, Para Tan, Lutan or Knoblochs Liqua Tan. They all work fine if used properly. For mounting Liqua Tan works great and is the simplest to use of the 3. There are Less steps involved.. Ive actually produced some really nice axis flat hides with Liqua Tan. A very thin, even shave is the key.

6. Wildwoodtannery

Wildwoodtannery New Member

Is it possible for you to help me out. I am needing to tan the back skins of some axis to get a nice soft tan. I have recently purchased a 6 ft tumbler. I currently use the McKenzie synthetic tan for all my wet tanning. I know the process. Of pickling and fleshing is the same for a wet tan and dry tan until you get to the oil and tumbling step. What would you suggest. Any help and instructions is greatly appreciated