1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer down

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Skywalker, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

My carcass casting freezer screwed the pooch probably sometime I was in Maine. Quite a special smell when I popped that sucker open and the air hit me. Now let me say first and foremost, that I have always preached storing skins "pickled an not neutralized" just in case the freezer goes down. All the pickled hides were fine, and the tanned Wolves were okay too. Just going to need some febreeze is all! All the pickled stuff is sitting in a new pickle now and the search is under way for a new freezer. Just a friendly reminder folks, check your freezers or invest in some freezer alarms! 8)

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Freezer alarms only do any good when you are home and can take care of the situation, but good point about checking things regular.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

From personal experience, that's a scary thing. Good thing you planned for something like that. I never thought to store pickled hides. I wish I would have known about that several years ago. I have a freezer room for my personal stuff and meat from my hunting adventures separated and away from my shop. Unbeknownst to me I had tripped a breaker and three weeks or a month goes by and when I went in there to get some meat for house freezer, I had lost all my specimens in that freezer and most of an elk, antelope, blacktail deer, bear, turkeys, grouse and more in the other.

My freezers are checked bi weekly now and a freezer sitter comes to check them when I am away.

4. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

So you can pickle a hide, drain it, then bag it and freeze it? I've never heard of that. Actually, I didn't think that would be good for a skin.
    Sorry, off topic.

5. Skywalker

No worries Jon. Not off topic at all. Theoretically you can leave a hide in a pickle as long as it doesn't change ph. Once you put it in a bag it's sealed and is preserved with anti-bacteria properties. When I mount them I take them out, neutralize, then use whichever tan I want. Simple.

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's a great idea. Easier than keeping a bunch of skins in a pickle for a long time.

7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Thanks for that post about freezing pickled skins. Learn something new everyday!

I usually check my freezers every day. I have one of those hand held gadgets that uses a laser and has a digital readout. The freezers usually hold between -10 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. If it got warmer than that I would start to worry!

8. Where is a good source for external freezer alarms? I bought some about 3-4 years ago (from Research possibly?) and most of the time they go off even though the freezer is working fine and it has been closed for a long time. I have to turn them off most of the time...really spotty on working well.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Amazon...

10. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Where I work we have many ultra low freezers for the labs. Freezers would regularly break down after only a couple years. The vendors told me that freezers are designed to be most efficient at the maximum (coldest) setting. Even though they are capable of a range of temperatures, any setting other than maximum greatly reduces compressor life.
    If this translates to home type freezer units, I cannot say for sure...But, I have a freezer in my garage that is around 25 years old and still running fine (on the max cold setting).
    Another thing hard on freezers is loading them with large quantities of room temperature material.

11. pir^2h

A guy I know that works on freezers says that having an empty or near empty freezer is harder on them as well and they will burn out faster. He says the fuller the better.
    I have a 35 year old JCPenny upright freezer (not a frost free). (Knock on wood) it has never been serviced.

12. FishArt

Just playing the Devil's Advocate here for the sake of debate, but Jon, why on earth would running the compressor MORE by having it on the coldest setting make the freezer last longer? It stands to reason that a compressor working less often would last longer - and in fact your situation backs this up. I couldn't find a single thing online backing up what your vendor stated. He probably just wants to sell you more units more often - lol!

Vic, interesting. I'm not sure why it would mater all that much either way. On one hand I would think you're right because maybe the items in the freezer help keep the internal freezer temp colder vs a bunch of air??? On the other hand the less the compressor has to work, the longer your freezer should last. Your freezer uses more energy with more food in it - no question there. But I'm not sure if that could simply because you're opening and closing it more often with more food in it and also the initial extra compressor usage when freezing that extra food. What happens if a half full and full freezer are left unopened for a month - which uses more energy??? Like I said food for thought...

13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I was told to keep plastic gallon jugs of clean water in the freezer. The idea was that they helped the freezer run more efficiently and, as a bonus, they could be used in ice chests or even as an emergency water source. I admit, I've been pretty lax about doing it recently but now I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to get back in the habit.

14. pir^2h

I think you hit it correctly by the first statement about keeping the internal temperature down. If you take a cooler out side in -10 degree weather, open it, let it fill with cold air and bring it back inside it will not retain the cold for long but if you put it full of -10 degree meat the temperature will stay colder longer. Freezers don't have a lot of insulation to begin with. The guy has been working on them for over forty years and he says that one of the biggest reasons for failure is because there isn't enough in the freezer and it runs more than a full freezer. Then people don't understand why it went out because "They barely use it." Half full? Will it matter? Don't know! Never asked him.

That would be an interesting experiment to run three identical models. One full, one half full and the other empty and see which uses more energy. But if you have Comm Ed (or as I called it when I lived in Chicago, Con Ed) like you do Marty you will go broke on their high rates! (LOL) What are they hitting you for per Kilowatt hour these days? When I left twenty-five years ago I think it was around fifteen cents per kwh during the summer. I pay 5.6 cents on my house and 6.3 per kwh on the building I used for my repair shop per kwh (or about that amount, been awhile since I last checked). And people around here biotch about high rates! They don't know what high rates are!

I was told that also if you didn't have anything else to put in there.

15. FishArt

Vic, I have no idea what Comed is charging these days. My subdivision won't allow me to put up a windmill so I am at Comed's mercy - lol! I do know I spend twice as much on one month of my AC bill vs. one year of running my freezers - lol!

16. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Fishart, I don't know all the technical reasons, but is has to do with the balance between compression and evaporation of the Freon through the system. There is a design temperature that all the internals are set up for, and all works best at that temperature. Maybe it is not the same for home units. Our lab freezers are designed for -80 Celsius. For some reason we need to run them at -70C. We get a lot of compressors rebuilt.

17. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Don't forget to consider Murphy's Law in the equation. The freezer with the most valuable or irreplaceable items will be the first to quit.

18. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Check on IOT, the internet of things.....your smart phone can monitor almost anything and have control of it

19. Skywalker

Well, I have a brand spanking new 22cu. ft. Whirlpool freezer in the back of the truck and she's going in later today! Lesson learned.

20. Allie

Allie Member

If you spank it occasionally, it will behave.