1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Where is the "old" Silkspan?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by critterstuffer, Aug 30, 2016.

1. critterstuffer

critterstuffer New Member

The "New" silkspan sold by McKenzie and others is more like glorified dryer sheets. It simply doesn't produce quality fins(used with Modge-Podge). Where can I find the old Silkspan? Thanks for your time.

2. try lens cleaning tissue

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use the tissue paper that comes in shoe boxes.

Hobby stores carry silkspan of all different grades. It appears McKenzie has changed the grade they sell. Some duffus probably ordered the wrong stuff and they need to use it up. ;D

4. Silk span as we knew it has disappeared. It was designed for wrapping model airplanes. Those guys can no longer find it. Lens paper works just the same.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It's gone

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

The old stuff as we knew it from the suppliers has joined the Passenger Pigeon.....however, any good fabric store will have what they call "Interfacing" in a few thicknesses and it's just like the old Silkspan. Probably was the same stuff renamed for sale by the suppliers. It's what I used as soon as I felt the original "Silkspan" and found it much less expensive than from the supplier. My wife did a lot of sewing and put me onto the Interfacing and I've been using it ever since. Good luck...JL

7. Still here you just looking in the wrong place.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFFHR&P=FR&gclid=COHY8IWt6s4CFQYPaQodkwQHNQ

8. http://aero-modeller.com/guide-to-tissue-covering/

9. Have you personally ordered this and is it exactly the same as the old silkspan? I've been on model airplane sites and they are complaining that it has become too thick.

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

11. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

You might also try coffee filters. They work well.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Hmmm… I have a store like that just down the road. Will have to check it out. Thanks JL.

Got the best damn stainless steel scissors ever from them that weren't the cheapass China imports that go dull right away. I use them to trim the silkspan, and I've had them for a year and they are still as sharp as ever.