1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Should you bring a piece to competition that was completed in a workshop?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by slwallace, Sep 2, 2016.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Bill, old buddy, old pal, methinks you may have chosed a non-sequitor in our discussion. "Morality" in taxidermy???? Really. Now damned it that ain't a slippery slope.

2. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I thought you were asking for yourself so I have 2 different answers.

1. Personally NO..it is NOT OK.

2. As a BOD member and Competition Chairman...It is impossible to police so while you might have a rule stating that a mount must be the work of "one person" in the end there is no way of really knowing or proving that a guy got ZERO HELP on a piece...in fact there are very few that don't at least get a second opinion.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

That IS leadership. The most important part.

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

George, yep, haha, thats why I said it as such.

Jim, you say it as I see it. I agree.

5. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

I agree as well, the universe is in geosynchronous orbit around Geo. :eek:

6. George

Well, now at least the circle is complete as even Jeff understands. ::)

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

All work should be done by the taxidermist when competing, but we all know that does not occur.(quote from OP's original post)

This is painting with a very broad brush..
    Every single piece that I have ever entered was done 100% by me, including the habitat. They Always will be.

What is a shame is that you even have to ask your original question... The answer should be obvious but Unfortunately competition rules and competitors mindsets have evolved in such a way that it creates this mass confusion.... 10-15 years ago you would have been laughed at and then thrown out of the building for just suggesting such a thing.
    In my opinion competitions are becoming something that they were never intended to be......
    When what used to be totally unexceptable, in competitions, becomes the norm I think you will see competitions dwindle..

8. George

Excellent statement Tim. They've become just like today's politics. The honest guy who stands by his integrity can sometimes come up on the short end of the stick.

9. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I'm late to this discussion, but it doesn't sound right to compete with something done in a workshop. If I win a ribbon, I want it to mean something, so wouldn't enter something I mounted with someone standing over my shoulder telling me what to do every step of the way. I'd need to be able to do the mount on my own, maybe asking someone a question or two is ok, but not someone there telling me what to do while I'm working on the piece.

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Arizona .......

The Arizona Taxidermy Association thinks it is okay.

Didn't used to be that way...... but the new board must think it is okay.

:)

Kerby...