1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermyvik ,bad deal, very untrusting people

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Shawn73, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I gave my buddy there number. They sold him desert bighorn cape for $1500. They said it was a 7 x 15. He received it dry salted. He had them turn and salt it. but before it was salted he asked them for measurments. Come time to mount it the measurements were not near that. It has been a couple months by the time it got back from tanning,etc. He has gone back and forth with them about getting his money back or a correct hide near that size. I didn't want to get involved with this cause I'm a very understanding person. He sent the cape back to them and they took picture of how they measured it. They got 7 eye to nose with it stretch out as if no skull could be in it. And if he got a 15 inch measurement on the neck its amazing how they got the hide the stretch that much. It has been over stretched and actually opened a couple holes. There are even clamp or plier marks from stretching. What ever they did after he sent them the cape, the measurement behind the ears is bigger then the lower measurement on the neck. The measurements he gets is 6x13. Yes the form can be altered but it's a lot of money to get such a small cape. Could that even be a legal ram?And they said it's a beautiful cape. The cape is a mess. Cuts,scars,slipped spots,etc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JRtaxidermist

JRtaxidermist Member

It's a desert bighorn. They have small necks. Maybe you got it confused with a Rocky Mountain which have bigger necks. If they got it to stretch to 7x15 I'm sure you can do the same. That's a pretty average size neck for a decent ram.

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Checked a couple of the suppliers and I don't see any forms with a eye to nose 6 inches. It is a very small cape

4. Thats a bummer , Very surprised they wont take it back.

5. There are two sides to every situation.

I’m attaching the photos we took in our shop when we received the tanned cape back from the buyer 6 MONTHS after purchasing. As a taxidermist, I understand slight shrinkage during the tanning process. We pulled the cape out of the box, laid it out to measure and slightly hand stretched, as we do with all of our tanned capes. No tools were involved, so I’m not sure why you’re claiming there are “clamp marks” (there are marks from my fingernails, but no clamps were used).

A 140 class Desert Bighorn is not large; also, Desert Bighorn are smaller than Rocky Mountain Bighorn – there is a difference, and maybe that wasn’t understood at the time of purchasing, however that is not our fault. When we measured the cape green, we measured 7x15. When your friend first called in July, he accused of us saying we sold it as a 7x16, then the next call 7.5x17 then 7.5x18 – we have no record of ever stating these measurements.

As shown in our photos, the nose to eye measures 7 inches (as indicated by the red arrows). The photo of the neck measurement was slightly cut off, but it shows 15 inches – this is exactly how we measure every tanned cape, as recommended by McKenzie http://www.mckenziesp.com/Measuring-Shoulder-Mount-Forms-W211C3537.aspx . These measurements fall right in line with a 140 class Desert Bighorn Sheep – even the Nevada Department of Wildlife agrees with us, so yes, it was a “legal ram” as you were questioning.

The cape was sold exactly as presented to us by the customer, which was a beautiful Desert Bighorn cape. To call this cape a “mess” is a ridiculous claim. Yes, there were imperfections, as there are in every other bighorn we get in our shop. Scars occur in older rams, which also ties back to your question of legality. We never claimed this was a “perfect” cape. Also any tannery we’ve used has sent back capes with holes and slip spots due to their process – most every taxidermist understands this, and any good taxidermist knows how to fix them.

I may not have 30 years of experience doing taxidermy, but I have been mounting Desert Bighorn Sheep for many years. I have measured every single one the exact same way I show in the pictures and have never once had an issue. Hardly any animals we’ve received fit perfectly on a form without altering – it comes with the job of a taxidermist.

We are required by the State of Nevada to turn and salt all bighorn capes prior to shipping out – this was not “requested” by the buyer as you state. We ship them out while they’re still in a flexible state and not totally dry, which is done so the buyer can check it upon receiving it. As I’ve mentioned several times, had this discrepancy been brought up when the cape was first purchased, I would’ve been able to help and understand. Waiting 6 MONTHS to bring up a problem is irresponsible on the buyer’s end.

I do apologize that you and the buyer are unhappy and felt the need to post your complaint, however I do not feel that I, as a seller, am being unreasonable. 6 months is a long time to wait to bring up a problem. At this time, my hands are tied.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

I'm not In anyway taking a side here,but i feel like this is a good example of how these matters can be straightened out.I know the argument could be made that "oh well,he just posted a pic of a different cape" which is very true.However,given the length of the post explaining the situation I doubt it.Bottom line I guess Is It is a very Important to keep all things documented in case situations like these arise.I hnk this is the most important section of this forum,scammers need to be castrated,honest people praised,and sometimes things get a little mixed up and need to be ironed out.Hope the both of you can come to terms with this issue and move on.