1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shark skeletons + new website

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Vkvz, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Hey all,
    Here are a couple of skeletons we articulated over the past few months.

Blacktip shark skeleton (Carcharhinus melanopterus). This specimen is on display at the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth, UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undulate ray skeleton (Raja undulata). This one is on display at the Museum of Natural History of Bourges, France.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

School shark skeleton (Galeus galeorhinus). On display at the Bourges Museum as well. I'm especially happy about how this one turned out :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as mentioned in the title, I also have a new website over here:
    http://www.kraniata.com/home
    You'll also find a link to our facebook/instagram there.

Cheers!

2. btr

btr Member

Amazing work!

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

Listen, you need to publish a book with these! This is the most amazing work and would be of real scientific value.

Fantastic.

4. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Thanks guys!! :)
    Great Skulls, thanks for the tip, actually I already had something like that in mind. Just need to prep more material before I give it more serious thoughts. Of course I'm never going to prep every single species, but I would like to cover majors chondrichthyan groups at least. So it's still some time ahead, but it'll most likely be done at some point! :)

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I agree. I can't imagine the incredible time and patience devoted to these. I think they would be hugely appreciated by the scientific community.

6. fogbound

fogbound Member

Very, very nice work!!

7. That's really wild and impressive - skeletons of creatures that don't even have bones!

8. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Thanks all! :D
    Regarding the scientific community, sure, although for the past few years a group of US researchers have been CT-Scanning stuff like crazy, and they have data for a lot of species. They didn't make their way in published litterature yet as far as I know, but I've seen a lot of preliminary results at a couple of meetings and did some talking with people involved, and the data really looks fantastic. But for one thing the technique doesn't do well with juveniles/poorly calcifed species (and there's a lot of those) and then imho no digital data will ever replace good old physical prep :D

9. These look fantastic Seb, you mastered chondros !! ;) Seems that things are turning very well on your side, happy of it !
    I agree that no digital data nor printed specimens will replace a true one.

Dissections go well here, and I was able to get some little specimens for me too, so I got a couple additions to my collection. Should send you a mail...

10. ostealmania

ostealmania New Member

tokyo
    Coooool!
    Amazing work Thanks Vkvz!!