1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grooming a mountain goat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by davehyer, Sep 9, 2016.

1. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

What's the best way to groom a mountain goat, should I use some kind of hair conditioner?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

MOST DEFINITELY. The underwool of a mountain goat is extremely important to get the effect of the guard hairs standing erect. Once you get the hide conditioned, mount the animal "wet" (not dripping but very moist). Then comes the grooming and expect the better part of a day to get it done properly (lifesize may take a couple days). I start at the bottom most point with a pet grooming brush and a professinal hair dryer with a cone nozzle. I take rows of hair, and backbrush and lift it while drying the underwool. When done right, each guard hair will be propped up by the underwool giving the animal a beautiful fluffy appearance.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I just blow the crud out of em with a master blaster

4. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Use a hair detangler like No More Tangles or a generic version.It will take the fight out of grooming goats.Use a fur brush-no combs.

5. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Thanks guys

6. RITAFIL

RITAFIL Active Member

NONYA
    marking

7. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

After washing and bleaching if needed, I put through a bath of Downy fabric softener. Then rinse , drain , spin out and mount. Then the blow dry techniques as above.