1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Northeast Taxidermy/coast to coast fish mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bryan Russell, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

I won't comment about the above company or companies? They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well the Picture on the right is a hand drawn logo by Mike Kroessig, on the left well.......Lets just say that shirt should come with a peg leg, hook for a hand and a plank.
    HHMMMMM.......................... :mad:

Attached Files:

2. Bryan Russell

No comments? Piracy is A-ok I guess.

3. RTF

RTF Active Member

Whats the original creators take on this? Has the copycat been contacted by the original artist?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

From a legal standpoint, it would be one tough time proving. There's no such thing as an "original idea" and I've seen those jawset logos before. Next is the issue of copyright infringement. Just as hard to prove. Don't care who or when it was drawn, there ARE minor differences in the artwork (teeth shaped different, larger vs. smaller, gaps, etc.) Just as soon as those differences appear, the copyright is going to be one tough one to prove. I saw a cup with the South Carolina logo of a palmetto tree and cresent "copyrighted". I informed the dealer that the state logo is public domain and he pointed out subtle differences by the artist who was copyrighting HIS version of the logo. I see the one on the left was "established" in 1956(???) and the other was in 2000. Sitting here, I wouldn't want to decide who's idea may have been "copied" or simply who made their own design. I know I've built designs that were bits and pieces from other artwork and logos and it was cleared by underwriters even after disclosure. And lastly, there is no "trademark" emblem on either shirt so it's pretty obvious no one paid to trademark it or register it unless they simply missed it in production. There again, PROBLEMS.

5. Tims

Tims B&C Moose Daughter shot at age 10

Mike lets be nice I have to agree with George there are differences in the two. As a Artist you should pick them out pretty easy. A lot of mounts end up looking very similar who do we blame for that?

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Very sorry for you Mike. This kind of stuff turns my stomach. Thanks for pointing it out Bryan. Maybe if everyone knows it will make a difference.

7. Bryan Russell

As some of the PC people imply, "just roll over and take it in the shorts" is the way to handle it?
    I guess maybe people who get copied should call the copycat and thank them for thinking our work is good enough to copy?!
    I have actually received a message saying I should be proud to be copied! How messed up is that?

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I have a hand-drawn (by me) logo that would be very difficult to photo copy and be used by someone else. It is copywrited and I have put some small identifying features throughout the art work that are known only by me. Simply put if you pirate the art work there is no way to change the identifiers without pretty much destroying the artwork. I have these identifiers recorded, dated and saved by my patent attorney. Unfortunately many people put original artwork into their advertising etc. that do not protect themselves by doing what I have done. Hard lessons to learn here. JL

9. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Obviously you've never done anything cool enough to copy.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK, Mike. let's say it IS yours. Then why is Bryan Russell bringing it up if it's you who have a chafed ass over it. Secondly, as I said, there's no copyright identifier like JL is talking about. Thirdly, if you feel that strongly about it, there's a simply remedy and that's to send him a certified letter to cease and desist IF YOU HAVE PROOF IT'S YOUR ORIGINAL WORK. America has an implied copyright law, but you will need verifiable proof that you completed the original BEFORE it was reused. Failing that, all the pissing and moaning is over. As JL states, you just have to learn from it and move on. I've been through these things and let me tell you right up front, next time you do any drawing like this, you need to take a photo of it with a dated newspaper in the background and then have the photograph notorized. Otherwise, he could say it was you who stole it from him.

11. RTF

RTF Active Member

OK Im confused. Who is Mike and why dont I see a post by him that everyone is replying too?

12. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

There was one. Maybe there was a couple too many expletives in it.

13. Tims

1 fish why is it most people go off topic? Why are you making this about me? A shark jaw is hardly rare or unique! Search the Web there are thousands of jaws on tee shirts, for the most part a jaw is a jaw. Sure you can draw your own art however how much different is it then the rest? Make it unique to you and do as JL has done.

14. 1fish2fish

Catch a clue. We're looking at more than a mimic. This is theft.

We aren't talking "a lot of mounts end up looking very similar who do we blame for that?" We're much closer to someone putting their name on your mount and passing it off as their own without authorization. It BS.

15. Tims

1 fish I am not defending anyone here I gave my opinion. The two shirts are very similar however still have noticeable diffrecces. Let it be proved I'm all for that.I still could care less.

16. Google shark jaw drawings then click images.

17. 1fish2fish

Hence my original response.

18. 1fish2fish

Lots of jaws, I didn't find any similar to the graphic in question though.

19. Tims

1 fish your first response was some kind of attempt to insult much like your second, is that all you can do? :'( Google this since you didn't see any the first time (shark jaw on tees ) ;)

20. 1fish2fish

Actually I find your first post to be the insulting one, suggesting that Mike doesn't know his own work enough to tell that this company copied from it. Mine just identifies your lack of respect.

I did your "Google" search and still don't find any jaws that match what is being presented in this post. Maybe you can provide the image you are referring to that puts in question the source of the graphic. [dumb emoji]