1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Northeast Taxidermy/coast to coast fish mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bryan Russell, Sep 9, 2016.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

1fish, it seems you're into this pretty deep with a very VERY shallow knowledge about copyrighting and trademarkings. No one can "steal" what isn't protected and certainly not to the degree one could be called a "thief". It still seems that the principal holder in this entire argument is amazingly quiet in his concerns (other than his tirade tha was obvioulsy deleted due to content). No idea is original.

2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Now that's original

Oh, but some are protected and some not and if you don't protect yours then it's your fault ...blah blah blah.

Law vs Ethics. Whatever.

I'll just call it BS then. If you don't get it, re-read my first post.

Do you really contend image 1 didn't come from image 2?

3. George

NOW YOU'VE DONE IT! The new buzz word in the milennial dialect is "ethical". BULLSPIT. Ethics is a personal conviction seldom shared by everyone. What you do to appease YOUR conscience has nothing to do with what I do to sleep well at night. The "ethics" of ISIS is to kill everyone but Muslims. This crap began somewhat with the Safari Club and it's "fair chase" crap. What's FAIR and what's LEGAL are two entirely different matters. If you want "fair chase", give the monkeys guns. The internet has opened somewhat of a Pandora's box in such stupid discussions and silly assed responses. You throw out your garbage on here and it's there for the picking of those who'd like it. That logo would play hell ever getting trademarked PERIOD. As John C noted, you can find shark jaw drawings by the zillions in public domain. PUBLIC DOMAIN means they're someone elses prize to be picked. HOWEVER, the shark jaw is not alone and the original logo had a name inscribed over it. Taa Dah. Obivously the only way to trademark the logo would be to include THAT SPECIFIC NAME. Once the name was removed and replaced, the shark jaw is sitting there naked. If he wanted the shark jaw copyrighted, the only thing required would have been that small encircled "c" placed INSIDE THE DRAWING. Copyrights are free and are offered bull protection by the law. Trademarks, however, are damned expensive and must be registered. When done so, they too get full protection from the law. But ethics?????? You can take that word and shove it. There's no mention of it anywhere in the legal anals that I'm aware of.

Oh, and BTW, I contend both image 1 and 2 both resemble the credits of the movie JAWS. Ergo, no idea is original - INCLUDING THAT ONE.

4. 1fish2fish

not worth reading

5. George

More proof that fools can't be educated.

6. Tims

Tims B&C Moose Daughter shot at age 10

Well put George. X2

7. 1fish2fish

And reinforcement that amongst dimwits, there is no originality.

8. 1fish2fish

Just a reminder, ethics is exactly why there is a fight against ISIS. Oh yeah, and the formation of a little nation called the United States....contrary to the laws of the presiding govt. at the time. Ethos is the basis for law.

What's the point of a trademark or a copyright? You can rationalize however you want, I call what I see here BS, and I call it wrong. someone drew that specific shark jaw and someone else copied it without permission. Sleep however you want, it don't sit with me.

9. Tims

1 Fish... Can't Understand Normal Thinking... Are you bright enough to figure it out? 8)

10. den007

den007 Active Member

Read my posts about smallmouth eyes. All Mr. Pitrulzeb and his mirror website does is pretend to be God's gift to taxidermy and come on here an criticize others work.

1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish.........this one has a little car, this one has a little star........Dr. Suess????

This one has a big mouth..........likes to pout...........not much to educate about..........

You cannot verbally spar with a few folks on here. You do not have the talent.

11. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Dang......

12. 1fish2fish

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.
    A. Schopenhauer

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    George Carlin

I am sure this is true. I've expressed my conviction, and that's enough.

13. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

Even in the picture of the two logos on the first page, they're minor differences between the two. Just look at the two front teeth in top, there's lines around one and not in the other. There's a extra tooth in one and not the other. They're similar but there some differences. Plus you can search google and find images that are close to enough to be called the same thing.

14. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Don't think there is any call for this Tims........

15. Tims

Brian W you maybe correct but after 3 insults directed at me game on. Sorry if your offended. :-X

16. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Wow, now THIS IS SCARY that this type of misinformation and complete lack of knowledge of copyrights is being offered as "advice", and worse, to defend a crystal clear infringement. In the US, any artwork you render is automatically copyrighted and protected and cannot be copied. What can't be copyrighted, is the idea of using a shark jaw as a logo (that can be trademarked), but anyone with eyes can see that the original work was used in the copied version, which is a copyright infringement. Do we, as artists, REALLY want to go out of our way to defend the copycats, or do some of you just like to argue? lol

17. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Well spoken Dave Smith

18. X2........... Play nice now boys!

19. George

Dave Smith, outhouse lawyers are dime a dozen and you're on your last nickle. I've copyrighted a few things myself and though America has an "implied" copyright law, you are NOT protected by it unless you claim such. It's difficult for even a slow learner to comprehend that time is essential in the process. If someone copies your work, marks it, photostat proofs it, you'll play hell winning any court cases over it. None of you seem inclined to actually look at the intrinsic differences in the picture to begin with. In 1966, I coined a phrase and actually made a sign that hung in a Vietnam operations shack for anyone to see. It said, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Be careful.". In 1992, while writing an outdoor column for a local paper, I wrote about as a hunter, I often suffered "buzzards luck". I guess the copyright of the paper might have protected it, but the phrase took off on it's own and Harry Kalas of the Philadelphia Phillies used it in a broadcast a few years later. Now do you think I could copyright that phrase? I had never seen them and I was playing with words when I made thm up, but do you know who the author of those remarks are? "Author Unknown." Why? I never signed them or marked it (you can't in the military anyway), so it became "public domain". Now tell everyone again how that copyright law actually works. While you're at it, explain how both of those logos COuLD be individual trademarked without compensation. Take your time. I'll wait.

20. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

George, ..............

George, are you insinuating that you coined the term "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"?

That has been around a lot longer than 1966. My dad used to say that all of the time and he said it was from WW II.

:)

Kerby...