1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cover in glass or not?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bfd2100red, Sep 12, 2016.

1. bfd2100red

bfd2100red New Member

What are your folks opinions on putting a bird in a box with glass/plexi versus having it not cased? None of my 18 birds are under glass, but I had a once in a lifetime cinnamon raccoon that i opted to put under glass with a scene to protect it. That has me thinking I might do it with my Alaska birds...?

I have some birds from my trip to Kodiak (probably only Alaska trip I will ever take) and i'm at a crossroads of putting it under glass to preserve them, or have them out and about so they are move visible and people can get up close, but that comes with the cost of dealing with dust and whatnot.

I'm not tied to any one pose; flying, sitting, diving...I like them all.

Will boxing preserve them that much longer or does it just keep the dust off?

Really interested in what peoples preferences are and why.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I would put hard to replace or special birds under glass, if I had the room. A bird under glass takes up more room than one that is not.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Birds that are not protected are continually covered with whatever is in their atmosphere be it smoke...oil or a combination of these and other contaminants. If they are valuable to you then protecting them is the right thing to do. Moths will invade nearly every type of case or cabinet over time except a vacumed space. However whatever you use, you can always introduce moth crystals into a glass case or even build the case out of cedar wood to protect the birds. If not a case built out of cedar you can always paint the inside of the case with cedarwood oil. Another advantage to a protective case is that they can be easily cleaned and moved without ever touching the bird. Good luck...JL

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

This is what I did with my Harlies. It's a wall mount.

Attached Files:

5. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

A case is a must if you want to do a snow and ice scene.

Attached Files:

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

most of my birds are under glass...never plexi......especially white birds....water scenes....snow scenes....fluffed heads.....I glue a thin strip of felt under where glass sits and put camfer block in cases once a year

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

IMO. I would put rare or birds of a lifetime (harlies,Kings ect. under glass. If cleaned and mounted correctly they will last a lifetime under glass. No need to worry about dogs,cats, and kids! Snow, water and ice will be impossible to keep clean out in the open.

8. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity. Where are most people getting their case or are you building them yourself?

9. nate

nate Active Member

I build all my own glass case bases and the glass cubes as well

10. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I have a plexiglass shop make all mine. Super clear and a heck of a lot lighter than glass

11. silverfox

silverfox New Member

I build the wood case or frame and assemble the glass but have the glass company cut the glass to get a nice finish on the edges.