1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanned capes slipping

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by 3bears, Sep 13, 2016.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Alright you tanning gurus, what causes a cape to sluff or slip after making it through the tanning process? This a commercially tanned cape. This seems to be a running theme lately. It is really starting to irritate the hell out of me. They seem to dry up OK but while they are wet, if I'm not super careful, I have bald spots, that I have to cut out and repair. What a pain in the arse.

2. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Are they wet tanned or dry tanned?

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wet tanned.

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Assuming the capes were handled correctly at the tannery, and you processed the capes when received in a timely manner, I would think the problem would be prior to you receiving them, there are very many factors involved.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The capes were handled properly, once I received them, in a timely manner. This hasn't been an isolated case this year. I understand, slippage from rotten capes but this doesn't seem to be the case. I've had iffy capes tan up fine with the hair setting tight, but these were not what I would call iffy at all. You can actually pull as big of a junk of hair out as you can grab, without much resistance, while still damp.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Here is my process, If frozen, hang by antlers to thaw, once thawed, skin, turn and flesh. That is done with in an hour to two tops, I use stop rot on anything that takes longer. I then salt, using new salt for each cape, rubbed in well let sit 24 hour and then shake em out and resalt, after another 24 hang to dry, with air movement in room, by fan. Then fold for shipping but left out of box until day before shipping.

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Do you know what acid and tanning method is used by the tannery? Are the capes real wet when you receive them? A couple of things can and will cause loose hair and slippage on wet tanned cape even though your salting process was good.

8. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Yes, many.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Timbuck, I do not know what pickle or tanning method they use. No they are not real wet, to help gauge the dryness, I use a dremel with a sanding drum to final thin the lips and such, so fairly dry. Waiting on response from tannery. I understand chit happens but there has to be an answer it.

10. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I now strictly use Formic to pickle. I tried the "safety acids", as directed, and had nothing but problems. When I Switched back to Formic all issued went away.
    Just my experience but I know others who like it.

11. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

From the time you received it and took care of to the time you got the wet tanned capes back there could be so many issues on why this happened.

When capes slip we have to look at these issues and break down all steps of what the client did to what you did and then the tannery. My problem is the tanneries always get the blame (most of the time) and I will say if it's was a respectable tannery it probably wasn't them.

They (tanneries) do what's needed to tan the hides and that's what they do. It's tanned and tanning doesn't cause slippage, it's the preparation prior to them getting the cape can be the issue or now the tannery being a wet tan, was bag and not frozen at a proper time or the capes could have been over soaked and that will cause epidermal slippage.

It's real hard to say what's going on here with out knowing a lot of the steps.

As for pickles acid wise I've used many acids and they all work fine. If I ever had slippage and we do I know it's not the acid but prior issues with the cape.
    Formic does a nicer job as to swelling the cape for shaving, it does have a different feel compared to other acids. I use formic, citric and alum in my pickles. I just have different recipes depending on what I'm going to tan.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did I mention hair twisted as well. That leads itself to an acid issue doesn't it? Is that why they are slipping as well. I know the variables that are there prior to the tanning, that cause slip but do those issues more often than not show up in the rehydration step?

13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok hair swirls are usually cause by too strong of an acid 1 and lower for a prolong period of time, but won't cause slippage.
    There is a possibility the tannery did see an issue and placed it into a stronger solution to aid in killing the bacteria but that info you have to get from them.

Slippage can happen at any time through the process not just hydrating a cape.
    If you don't stir a pickle twice a day it can get air born mold on the cape (called black mold) and that will cause slippage later on. The same goes for wet tanned capes that are hanging close together that are just drying. Also like I said above wet tanned capes that are to wet and then frozen will cause epidermal slippage.

There are way to many variables in this and since you didn't do the tanning some of these questions won't ever be answered.

14. buckman170

buckman170 Member

We have been sending are capes to a well known tannery here in Minnesota for years, but this last year we had so many capes with slippage problems, we are no longer going to use them. Hopefully it's not the same tannery that you use 3bears lol.

15. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I smell a plastic bag somewhere :p or wet short incision capes left hair-side-in for too long :p

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet on it.