1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Small Glass Eyes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Trapper2016, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

I am hoping that i can get some advice from the experienced members on this forum. I paint alot of reptile replicas, and many species require custom eyes that can't be purchased. I can typically make my own if the pupil is a a black round standard format. However, quite a few have different eyes shapes, which poses a problem to me. And we are talking about eyes sizes typically of 5mm and under. Most often around 3mm to 4mm.

I have researched how to paint eyes, and have seen Rick Krane do it in his videos, but that doesn't seem to work on these small eyes. What i really need are small eyes around this size that are completely blank, with no pupil. That way i could draw my own, but it doesn't seem that anyone makes these. I have searched a great deal for these type of blank clear glass eyes of this size, but have not had any luck.

I am hoping that someone might know of a source to get these clear glass eyes of these small sizes, that do not have a drawn pupil already. Or if there is a cheat, or another way to create these designs, I would be grateful if you could share this knowledge.

A good example would be if i wanted slitted eyes of size 3mm. I can order flint bird eyes of that size, but of course they will have a round black pupil. I have attempted to then form the round pupil into a slit by a vertical taper of the pupil, but this just doesnt work on these small eyes. Therefore basically i need a blank slate to make these. If anyone can help I greatly would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time
    Chris

2. http://www.glasseyes.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?ref=blanks

3. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hi Matt,

I appreciate the link. I have purchased from them in the past, and they have great products. They were one of the first places i checked. Unfortunately those eyes are all too big. The smallest they make is 5mm in a blank, and unfortunately i dont use alot of 5mm. But i appreciate the link and you taking the time.

Thanks again
    Chris