1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smallmouth eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by OHDave, Sep 17, 2016.

1. OHDave

OHDave Member

I am curious about folk's opinions on available Smallmouth Bass eyes. I've ordered some smallmouth Flex Eyes and Rhinehart's Aqua Eyes and have been a bit disappointed in both. I am usually happy with Flex Eyes and I like the fine detail on both sets, but the ones I got from both companies were barely red in color (even in bright light)!

The Aqua Eyes were so dark and low contrast that even in bright natural light -- they just looked muddy, again barely any red standing out. Also, the gold ring around the Aqua Eye's pupil was barely visible once the eyes were set in place for test fitting.

Any recommendations for a good set of Smallmouth eyes that look realistic and have a more vivid red? Van Dykes 24k backed eyes?

Thanks.

2. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Hmm, the SMB flex eyes I've had were too red for my use.

3. OHDave

OHDave Member

1fish2fish--I understand how that could be. These are just a copperish color -- hardly any red registering.

4. 1fish2fish

I wonder if you got LMB eyes by mistake. Or else they changed designs.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bingo. I agree with 1fish2fish. The flex eyes I get are very red.

Funny the smallmouth i used to raise didn't have red eyes at all. They were more like the largemouth and northern pike eyes flex eyes makes.

6. OHDave

OHDave Member

Yea--there is a lot of variation--but the one I caught and am mounting up did have very red eyes. I am curious if environmental conditions (as well as genetic) has influence on eye color.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I think it's probably genetic but could be wrong.

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I'm with everyone else.. you got sent the wrong flex eyes. They're very red....too red for my taste. I usually use lmb eyes or paint a set of flints or lenses.

9. den007

den007 Active Member

Call me biased, but, these work quite well and can easily be tweaked towards the brown or the green.

Attached Files:

10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

why worry about what companies sell and the color difference you dislike.

Personally I get better quality eyes by simply painting my own version of them.

Get some blanks and paint up a few, not hard.

11. den007

den007 Active Member

I guess I forgot to mention, several world award winners use these for smallies. I will not name names. Why?????????

12. Frank E. Kotula

I would like to know who uses them if they used them at world shows. If their is that many then name them cause not to many has won world with smallies just curious lol

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

A while back I used a pair of 12 mm largemouth flex eyes on a commercial four pound skin mount brook trout. That particular eye color came the closest to what I've observed in my brook trout.

14. den007

den007 Active Member

One fellow who won a world award did not use them in the competition.....it involved a perch. He buys them for his commercial work, as well as a golden color eye for the many perch he mounts.

15. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

LOL, good one Frank!

Jeff ;)

16. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

These are the cats a$$ for commercial use. All of these eyes have more depth and details than flex eyes at a better price.

17. den007

den007 Active Member

Yeah, great one Frank, except for the spelling and grammar. Jeff, you have thin skin. Get over the Buck Rodgers comments regarding "acrylic bubbles you have to paint the pupil into with a crayon" then accusing him of copying your "invention." Not even close. HIs stuff was way superior back in the day. Indented pupils, dark mottled character highlights printed on the inside of each eye..........something US pad printers said was not possible, but the Germans were always one step ahead of us, eh? No, Mike was not the most stable person I ever tried to work with, but some "comrades" in former USSR are. Way ahead of anything in the USA at least. New things in the works as well.

I will mention 2 artists I do not think you can admonish. Steve Silseth and Tyler Erikson........both who purchase large quantities of my eyes and have used them to win at least state competitions, and of course for commercial work. I don't know all the fru fru rules of competition, nor do I care. To each his own.

I like and endorse Lumsden Liquid scales, and your newer eyes with pupils. Get over the past. If I thought my customers would appreciate custom painted eyes, I would use them. That said, in some tiny shop in a country ruled by a dictator, some folks are working with me to come out with the ultimate walleye, pike and musky eyes ever seen. You won't have to paint them, because they will be unique, and more highly detailed than can be reproduced by paint.

Nostovia!

18. Frank E. Kotula

Hmm you said world not state lol sorry about the grammar fat finger get in the way lol

19. 1fish2fish

Yes. Biased and, more so, SHAMELESS. Here is a guy looking for a "red" smallmouth eye and you plug those? Really.

"Can be easily tweaked towards the brown and the green"? Whoop-de-do. Not helpful.

"Several world award winners use these for smallies." ....But most don't. And still not red.

Cats a$$ or not, a SHAMELESS plug.

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to try them too!