1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smallmouth eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by OHDave, Sep 17, 2016.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Joshua Knuth has a YouTube video on painting eyes that will get you thinking. Also, Rick Krane's SMB videos have eye painting instruction and he does eyes of red hue.

Best, Scott

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

;)

3. OHDave

OHDave Member

Thanks 1fish2fish! I hear enough arguing everyday about the election -- I really don't want to hear it about fish eyes! ;D

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Den won't send me any eyes 'cause I'm voting for Clinton. LOL Just kidding. Sorry OHDave!

I'm in the middle when it comes to competitions. I think they are a good thing for learning your craft and improving your work. I would never be at the level I'm at with out them (Not saying I'm God's gift to taxidermy by any means.) Not everybody lets things go to their heads either.

That said, there are some big egos in this industry that are full of themselves. And I've seen at least one taxidermist that closed their doors because they got so in engrossed in competing they weren't getting their customer work done. The ones that really disappoint me are the ones that do crap work for their customers that is miles below their competition work. I do understand you can't do blue ribbon work for your customers at commercial prices, but these guys were custom carving bodies etc. for their competition bass pieces and slopping in fish filler for their customers. (Not referring to the half cast method I'm referring to literally slopping it in with no regard to anatomy). And the customer deer heads were dry preservative while the competition pieces were tanned.

I've seen judges all over the place when it comes to judging. I've seen some that were so arrogant they wouldn't even judge a piece, or biased because their form was not used. OTOH I've had some that were too easy in my opinion and believe it or not I was disappointed by that too. For me when I was competing though it all seemed to average out.

5. OHDave

OHDave Member

Thanks Cecil. Just to give you my thoughts on "competition"--I've never entered but have been told a number of times I should because I would do well. However, taxidermy is just a sideline for me (since high school--about 30 years ago!)--my main, full-time job is a museum exhibits artist and I have done everything from animal sculpture to mounting up a Sumatran Rhino with a taxidermist friend to mounting a zoo Snow Leopard for a local university museum. And I've mounted lots of ducks and small mammals. I love taxidermy and my goal with every mount is to make it as accurate and complementary to the animal as possible.

I am hoping to enter competition one day when I have more free time--if and when I can retire. And with any competition, I will be aware that there are sincere folks out there as well as egotistical asses. As long as I can learn something--I'm good.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well said Dave!

Another thing I want to point out. I've got ribbons and trophies in my shop that span two walls, but anymore the almighty dollar gets more respect from me than all that stuff. I get depressed if I don't have as much as I'd like in the checking account. I guess we all change.

Glad for you you love your work. For me it's become a job for the most part. I'm on burn out 28 in over 30 years. LOL I may actually change careers at some point when I get a pole building up for more fish tanks.