1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fungi casting

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Meathooks, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Meathooks

Meathooks Member

Doing a quick search for mushroom or fungi casting yields a few posts but I feel are insufficient to my dilemma. I have a number of large fungi that I would like to cast. One in particular is about 14 inches across and a depth of about 6 inches. I believe I am slightly underselling it, but I digress. It's too is multi-lobed if that makes sense. I have dried it out and it is extremely brittle now.
    I had thought I might be able to cut the large pieces down and cast them in PP and then use foam to recreate the actually fungi but that rehydrated the piece and it turned out poorly.

Second, today I found two extremely large mushroom type fungus, one about 18 inches across. They are hanging to dry and I would love to cast them, but I am looking for ideas or concrete ideas of what others have done. Any thoughts?

2. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Just s thought, would freeze during them , then soaking them in diluted bond Crete to harden them allow a rubber mold to be made,?