1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you keep your customer logbook

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Sep 18, 2016.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

How do yall like to keep track of your incoming customer mounts as far as name,number,pose ect? Im not meaning there invoice.What I have been doing the last 6 years is just out of a hardback notebook(which I get a new one each time right before deer season starts to have a clean slate) giving each there own number,writing there name, number and usually there cape measurements right there beside that. I do 90 percent whitetail shoulder mounts. Im not a computer guy by any means but would like to know what you guys use to write this info down on ,and what all yall like to include in that just so I can get a little more organized in my record keeping. Didn't know if any of you like the record keeping invoices like McKenzie sells or if any other company sells any of them that you like? Thanks for any input!

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I use TaxiShop for invoices, but when a guy brings a head/specimen we fill out one of the tags from McKenzie(the paper ones that have the tear-off part) and then also attach a plastic tag with a number on it to the antlers. Once we skin it, we'll take the plastic tag and attach it to the hide with a zip tie. That way the hide and the antlers have matching numbers. We do all in house tanning and the plastic tags get reused once the animal is mounted.

Before we got TaxiShop, we wrote in a logbook. The # assigned, customer name, date he brought it, any condition issues we could see, pose, special requests ect. Then we would just put in dates that we skinned, salted tanned ect. Biggest thing is keeping the hide and antlers with the same # and the plastic tag/ paper tag on the antlers works for us.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I use Research Mannikins log book. It has headings with a place to write the info. Name, address, phone number and date. Hunters license and tag numbers, unit harvested. A place for pose, base, special instructions, date brought in, date picked up and who brought it in and who picked it up. A place to put down total price, down payments, and a place for balance due and a place for a signature after a standard disclaimer statement including not responsible for care before it was brought in the shop, tanning, prompt pick up etc., all on a 8.5"x11" page. It comes in a binder book with a cover that has a place to write the from date to date for quick locating.

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Bought the logbooks from McKenzie, also reproduced a page of tags bought there on some good paper. Need to get the TaxiShop software though. Heard great things about it.

5. I use numbered zip ties and taxi shop. When a animal comes in the shop the customer and I fill out a work order and assign #'s and put a zip tie on the rack and when I skin him another tag with the same # goes on the hide. I will paste the link but make sure that you get 2 sets so you have 2 ties with the same #.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/customizeTies.php

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use these customer log sheets that I designed. It includes all of their info, and a signed agreement by them, which is VERY important. These are 2-part carbonless forms that I sell, if you are interested. They can be customized any way you want, and can include your logo, business info, etc. http://timberlandtaxidermy.net/Taxidermy%20customer%20sheets.pdf

7. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

I know this sounds 'old school' compared to the others, but I have a large dry erase board with slots for each customer, number, status etc. It works awesome for me because it is right there in front of me to refresh my memory...and when a mount is completed, I simply erase it.

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I have been selling these for the last 9 years or so. If you are interested just send me a PM.

Please do not reply to the thread itself.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,138546.msg946926.html#msg946926

9. I use Taxishop for my invoices and expense tracking and all the business type stuff. When a person brings in an animal I put the their info into Taxishop print out the client order and the shop order. I then use the paper tags from Mckenzie that are waterproof and write their name and tag number on it. Then I place a U line numbered truck tag on it. This gives me 3 ways to keep things straight. Name, DNR tag number and U line tag number. I then write in an accounting book the client name, animal, season, and u line tag number. After the animal is skinned out I place a Mckenzie tag with the clients name and DNR number on the hide so that there is one on the rack and one on the hide. If a hide is going to be sent to the tannery I use the u line truck tags and record them in a different book. It sounds like a lot and I guess it is but I like to have multiple layers of tracking a hide and rack. I also hav a 4'x8' board that hangs in my shop. It has columns for new orders, form ordered, form received, ready to mount, mounted drying, ready for pick up. As the order progresses I move the shop work order to the appropriate column. Last year was the first year I used the board and it was a huge help. I really like being able to look at all work orders. It also really helped me in being able to order forms, plaques, habitat materials and even supplies.
    I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to pm me.