1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Beaver Mount questions???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by turkeyshooter, Sep 20, 2016.

1. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

I got this beaver in to mount. When taking the tip of the nose to base of tail measurement, do you measure all the way to where the fur stops and that bare skin starts on his tail? Hard to find the actual base of the thing. Also I cannot find beaver eyes in the catalog. I realize they are small. What eye should I use for your typical beaver. This one measured 29" from the tip of the nose to where the fur ended and the bare skin starts on the tail. (if that is correct). And 28" in circumference. 2 1/4" eye to nose measurement. And do you use their own skull teeth somehow or an artificial jawset? I guessed by now you have figured this is my first beaver. This does not look like fun. What is the going rate to charge for a beaver that will be posed knawing on a stump? :-\

2. Take the measurement to where the fur line and tail meet. You can use hollow bubble eyes and an artificial jawset. Most times the client wants to save the skull for display. As for price, that all depends on you and what you think you can get. I wouldnt touch one for under $1,000 but thats me. Good luck.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X2 to Matt Marulli's advice. I would just add to take a good look at the nostrils and get good reference photos to make sure you get them right and I also use an artificial tail. Skinning a beaver tail is a chore and I have yet to do one without slicing it up pretty bad, but that's just me. I charge $600 plus the cost of the base which varies depending on pose and what the customer wants.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Definitely use an artificial jawset and tail. I don't do one very often, but they are $600 if I can put them on a piece of cypress driftwood. Anything more that that will cost extra. Use a case incision. They have lots of stretch, and mount easy once you get everything in order.