1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Chain pickeral questions

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

My buddies daughter got one and he wants it mounted. I only mounted a couple fish. I always used artifical heads. My question is does any companies sell heads. And can anyone please share a paint schedule.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

cast your own head and as for schedules I paint what I see I have none to offer

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

For me they're so small I used the real head. Degrease the skin of course like any esocidae.

The few I've done wholesale (We don't have them here in Indiana) the skin dried really dark. I whited them out, heavily sealed with lacquer sealer, and then antiqued with dark brown like I do a replica to produce scale detail with steel wool buffing the high spots. Then painted like a skin mount.

I like to use a little iridescent gold as base color followed by bright yellow mixed with gill red to produce a very light orange in your color cup. It should be similar to a yellow perch. Then use dark brown mixed with about 20 percent retarder to paint the chain markings. It's imperative you look at reference when painting the chain markings. I've seen some really screwed up renditions of them because they just weren't made in the correct pattern or they were too thick. Even a certain person that publishes a fish painting encylopedia did a horrible job recreating those markings. Was surprised by that has most of the schedules in the book are pretty decent. But like Frank I paint what I see now. Nothing wrong with a schedule when you first start out though.

The rest of the fish is more or less brown depending on the actual original fish.

[​IMG]

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Thanks cecil, these are rare around here. Now do you scale tip. The guy sent me pics I never seen one of these in person yet alive so I can't really see the effect. Look's like a gold scale tipping?

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You're talking about on the back and about 1/5th of the way down the sides on each side? I use treasure gold, some mineral spirits, and and small artist brush.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Cecil, I've never seen a live chain pickeral but the pictures I've seen have never shown them to be brown, do you have any pictures of brown ones? Most all of them look like the picture, golden green, if you will.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

And I color blind after all these years? LOL

The above fish has a a brownish back and fins on my computer. Is something wrong with my computer?