1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

RTV question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by antlermike, Sep 26, 2016.

1. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Need opinions on different RTV for molding fish I have used the GI 1100 from silicones inc but it has been a while maybe 15 years ago I have been reading about Mold Max or maybe someone has a better suggestion and is one better for molding frozen fish I have heard that Tin cured silicon is better than the platinum cure for fish any input would be greatly appreciated

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

my opinion is you can use both and get great results but you do need to prep in different ways,

Tin is very forgiving and works well on moist surfaces. It's not affected by sulfurs or other chemicals as platinum is.

Being your fish is frozen and if your going to cast it in that state go with Tin.

Platinum would be great if you want your cast to last a long time but I would rather cast it in tin or even bondo fiberglass resin mix.

I mainly use platinum for mouth plugs cause of tear strength and a quick set up time. Yes tin has an accelerator just like what I use and do JMO

there is a lot I can get into but tp keep it simple use tin

3. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Thank you Frank for your response