1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Van Dyke's Employees Let Go

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by RTF, Sep 27, 2016.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Depends on the company and their benefits. Most large severance packages are long gone with private companies - especially non-union, as companies look for cuts. My wife's company is down to two weeks severance plus whatever PTO is unused. No matter how many years she has in. Years ago, it was about four times that with folks with some seniority. What are you going to do when jobs aren't that abundant and most companies are down to minimal severance benefits? With these folks, they're in the middle of nowhere and they're not going to want to relocate. Luckily, they have unemployment benefits for a while. Hopefully, it's enough for most of them to get by before they can find other employment. My biggest concern isn't for the 19-25 year olds - they'll bounce back and find something else eventually. It's the 50 year olds and such that are going to have a hard time finding employment - especially at the probable salaries they were making. JMO..

P.S. This SHOULD be an eye-opener for some of us here. Yes, we have some job security. BUT, you best be carrying some short term disability (and preferably long term as well) IF you cannot afford to be out of work. A short term disability policy has helped me twice through the years and has more than paid for itself. It's relatively cheap and you set up the terms you can deal with and afford....

2. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

So... why didn't they just sell it? ???

3. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you understand whats happening.

Mac consolidated to most likely cut overhead, if this newspaper article hadn't been written the majority of the taxidermy world would not have known any difference. Van Dykes will still be here like nothing ever happened, the products will just not be shipped from Woonsocket, SD any more.

DP

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

My theory on why they bought Van Dyke's to begin with was for the glass eye factory and fleshing machine line more than anything else. If McK sold Van Dykes they may have had to let these go with it. McK will most likely be selling the real estate if anyone wants it to open their own supply house, or one huge taxidermy studio!

5. Companies are bought and separated and sold off daily. If McK. sold the firm of Van Dykes, they could easily keep the glass eye and fleshing machine shop..... The number of companies that have done things such as this are to numerous to count. Beside that fact that the fleshing machine end is nothing but a machine shop. The glass shop other than the artist painting the eyes can be done anywhere.

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

John C. By buying Van Dykes it saved McK from all the set up work to have these products being made by one of their own companies they already had instead of starting from scratch. What else does Van Dykes really have going for them other than run of the mill supplies available from any supplier?

7. EA

EA Well-Known Member

They had a share of the market. Now they don't. Same with the others. There are only so many taxidermists to target. The only way to gain on the competition is to offer something others don't (Not Easy) or consolidate shopping choices.

8. D.Price

Mac and VD have been one and the same since Mac acquired them in 2009, the only thing that will change is the logistics of certain products and the fact that these folks lost their jobs. The property will most likely be sold off. It's called consolidation.

There are certain products in the 3 catalogs(That includes WASCO) that state they ship from *NC ONLY* and *SD ONLY*, when the new catalogs come out you will most likely see subtle changes in the wording, nothing more nothing less. Again without this article most of the taxidermy world would have never noticed.

DP

9. I have to disagree a tiny bit D, what you said may very well come to pass. But its just as probable that a lot of simular products, or what they feel is un nessarry, not profitable could be discontinued. That is never published in a book, they been doing that all along. Severl products including forms are no longer available.
    When you want/need something and we discontinued that, well that gives me the red a$$.
    But things change just the way it is! Take the bad with the good I recon!

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

My comment was reasoning for the purchase of the company way back when.

11. D.Price

Oh I agree with that totally, it is taken out of production and destroyed so as to never be used as competition for Mac ever again.

Gotcha, sorry !

DP

12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the majority of the forms they offered were less than standard, very old molds from many, many years ago....they should have discontinued a huge part of the van dykes catalog back when they bought them, keeping only the up to date sculpted forms. still sad people have to loose their jobs in these times.. I think times are about to get tougher in the coming couple of years again...