1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you do!?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by hunter110388, Sep 29, 2016.

1. hunter110388

hunter110388 Member

Well Im mounting a lifesize albino buck that a little kid shot, git it all prepped ready to throw on the form...I go inside my house and eat some pretzels and go back to my shop to find out my dog ate half the face off of the skin. It doesn't have from about the corner of the mouth down to the nose. Missing it all, I'm at a loss of words and am lost as to what I can do, any suggestions!? Please help!! Thanks!

2. bowelk

bowelk Member

Find a replacement cape. With me, it's an integrity thing.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    First off I would no longer have a dog, even if ultimately it was your fault. What more can you do other than own what happened. Albino deer don't come easy or likely very cheep, if you find a life size buck for sale. Do what you can to satisfy the customer and use it as a learning experience.

4. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Find an albino cape for sale and replace the face on the L/S....you may lose a little money now but that is better than what you could lose in the future as word spreads.

Pics would be good to help us give you more input as well.

DP

5. I'd start keeping my Pretzels in the shop !

6. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

I once had a cape drip drying outside, just out of the nutralizr bath. One of my dogs some how jumped enough to pull it down and eat one whole ear ear off. I just took another cape, cut off both ears ( so they matched), tanned them and sewed them on. The colors matched great. It was not noticeable at all. Hopefully you can come across a cape. White deer are not entirely uncommon on deer farms, or preserves, so there are capes out there.

7. D.Price

;D

8. 11th hour

11th hour Member

I feel for you. It wasn't a customers but 10 years ago I had my first bow kill elk cape hanging over the floor drain in the basement after a wash before mounting. My wife's little miniature pincher got down there and ate the nose and them some off. If my kids hadn't been there I might of went over the edge. All you can do in your case is let them know and explain the options. Replacement cape etc...

9. You need to send pictures and measurements so we as experienced taxidermists can see what the damage is I have a one in freezer but don't know what size we are talking about also are we patching replacing entire face etc.The more you show us the more we can try and give feedback and help you would be surprised what can be salvaged.John

10. D.Price

X2

DP