1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Bird Bodies

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by taxidermypds, Sep 30, 2016.

1. taxidermypds

taxidermypds New Member

After watching the Shane Smith tutorials using his bodies I was curious as to opinions, pros and cons of his bodies, Cory Caruthers bodies or any other bodies everyone has experience with. Thanks.

2. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

There all good it's just what you do with what you have makes the difference. To big.... cut it down with a rasp. To small buy a bigger one. A rasp and understanding the mechanics of the wings, legs and neck make a lot of difference in the birds. By the supplier making one for each species it makes it generally for the taxidermist. I measure all my ducks from the beak tip to the tail, The length of the body and circumference, location of wing pockets. Legs can be removed, left in but reference of how they work and connection is the most important part of them. So I guess the bottom line is finding one you like and just use it.....

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Some of the best bird mounts I've seen were made from bodies that were wrapped. Heck I even saw some small mammals done that way that blew me away. I think it was Gene Roll?

4. I really like Page's from HQ. they don't have thighs.

5. nate

nate Active Member

I use both Cory's and Page's with excellent results. I haven't had the opportunity to use Shane's yet, but I'm sure they'd be just as good

6. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I make all my own bird bodies, they are the best!

7. x2 but its a hobbie for me.im not strapped for time

8. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I used pages from headquarters for years. I tried shane smith's on a woody,black,harlequin, and a king. Shanes bodies are amazing. These bodies fit like a glove with.

9. oskare

oskare Iceland

make your own :)

10. bowelk

bowelk Member

All great responses to your question. I have used a great deal of Cory's bodies - they look exactly like to carcass you remove, sans fat. I think that speaks volumes. Really good anatomical casting between the flying/standing manikins. You are somewhat limited as the leg placement is already sculpted, requiring a little work for relocation if you want to change that. They are very good for any commercial rendering. Used several of the Smith bodies recently on some mallards, and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Not a lot of different species available yet, but proper measuring of the carcass you remove should easily allow you to substitute and alter one to fit your application. And as always, should you not find a specimen available, carving your own is the way to go, and a skill, if you are to do birds on regular basis, one that you should be able to do.

11. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I seldom buy bird bodies as I can wrap one out of excelsior in less than 30 minutes...and it will fit. I do it while the real body is just out of the duck and on my table so I can wrap one that is the exact same size and ready to use. The only ones I no longer wrap are turkeys...just too much wrapping and I can buy one out of foam.

12. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I recently tried the Shane Smith bodies and I really liked them. They mounted up nicely. I especially like the flying bodies, the breast anatomy is wider and flat and really turned out great.