1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about pickle thawing

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ARCHERSTAXIDERMY, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ARCHERSTAXIDERMY

ARCHERSTAXIDERMY Member

I have a bobcat to mount and I don't have any pickling solution. I Krowtann everything could I mix up Krowtann and thaw whole thing in it. Also I'm talking about whole bobcat not just skin

2. Genie

Genie Member

That would be silly

3. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

No it wouldn't...its been done before.

4. Genie

Genie Member

Now why would someone do that? Just to get the thaw & tan started at the same time? There must be a limit on how long you can let the carcass inside the skin at room temperature. And the Krowtann (in this case) would likely get.less effective and perhaps bloodied. It couldn't work with a thicker skinned animal. It doesn't seem like a useful strategy. Anyone actually done this?

5. oldboar

First of all...I'd use a pickle vs Krowtann due to the cheaper cost.
    Unfortunately the original poster DOES NOT have pickle available.

But they both accomplish the same thing it stops bacterial growth and speed up the thawing process. This is a GREAT aid to the taxidermist-especially with small animals rabbits, squirrels etc., and predator's-bobcats,fox, coyotes etc. The first thing to thaw on the aforementioned animals are their ears, lip etc. Fox especially are notorious for ear hair slippage. I suspect just from the heat of hands during turning etc, kicks off biological growth and the result is slippage.

Depending on how bloody or mangled the specimen is...you may or may not have to mix an extra amount of Krowtann to finish out the tan process.
    Right after removing the skin from the carcass I'll return the skin to the pickle for moment, drain a bit, then finish turning, eyes, ears, lips etc. It toughens the skin a bit on fragile animals which is a benefit. Then you can drain, salt, dry and tan later....or in this case return to Krowtann to finish out the tan.

You're not tanning anything until everything has been turned, and fleshed.

If you haven't tried Krowtann on an "iffy" skin, you're missing out. This stuff sets hair like no other product I've ever used, and that includes your conventional formic acid pickle etc.
    I've had a frozen roadkilled summer fox so bloodied I couldn't tell what it was when I opened the bag-thaw and tan perfectly using pickle...or in this case Krowtann by immersing/thawing in it.

And, I don't see your logic...couldn't work with thicker skinned animals. Absolutely it can and does. Try thawing a steer or buffalo hide frozen into a 100 pound block on your countertop- vs dropping it into 30 gallons of pickle. Tell me which one works better.

Not trying to bash on you...

Maybe you're not understanding the process that pickling serves. Peace

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There are world class taxidermists that on this site have advised to thaw in a pickle. It must work for them.

7. Genie

Genie Member

So ... then this is primarily an expensive way to thaw a specimen? A taxidermist can't actually get much tanning done with the frozen or thawed carcass still inside the skin.
    Sure, thicker skins can thaw more quickly in ANY liquid as compared to air but if there is a carcass inside, not much tanning could take place.
    I notice that CJ Archer said he only wanted to thaw the bobcat. I generally use Krowtann myself and couldn't justify the expense. The amount of Krowtann mixture needed to submerge an entire bobcat or one of oldboar's coyotes would be prohibitive.

8. oldboar

No offense again… But c'mon you can't be serious? Are you new to taxidermy?
    Especially because of all the benefits given by thawing it in a pickle.

I don't understand what your idea of expensive is? Mixing up 10 gallons of pickle … If I am unlucky cost me A couple dollars max.

And as already discussed… Mixing up 5 gallons of Krowtann isn't going to break the bank! Especially if you continue on and utilize it for your tanning that you are not sending out of house. LOL can't stop laughing

Obviously you are yanking my chain.
    Research the archives, you must be kidding me.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The goal is NOT to tan it, but to thaw it in a medium that inhibits bacteria growth. Carnivores are notorious for slipping on ears and bellies and a pickle is a kin to using stop rot after and while skinning. I'm sure it isn't the same chemical make up of stop rot, however, it serves the same purpose and that is to retard bacteria growth. A bobcat will fit into a 5 gallon pickle. That's probably $5 to $10.

I have never thawed a critter in a pickle or any liquid. Hanging over night worked well for me, however, the reasoning behind it is sound.

10. Genie

Genie Member

Geez boar, take a break!

Your mean streak is coming out. Be nice.

Attached Files:

11. czykdbcz

czykdbcz Artist or just crazy

va
    I have not personally thawed anything in a pickle. How ever I believe that Brian Hendricks does it that way. He demonstrates it in one of his videos. it makes sense.