1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

painting eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by naturalcreati40, Oct 7, 2016.

1. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

How many of you paint your own eyes on the outside of the lense. I remember there are some, I'm just curious what you guys think about it?? Thanks

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

I have...not often but in cases where required I have with good results...I think.... ;) ;D

DougP

3. naturalcreati40

I ve started and I like it, still have to master it though. I thought more of us did it, I thought I'd seen something on here once a while ago???

4. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

I have just remember to seal the back side after u paint it. I seal with clear acrylic spray then a coat of glue mod podge or finflex to keep your epoxies from pulling the paint away from the surface of the eye

5. naturalcreati40

I don't paint the back of the eye, I paint the surface. I take a glass eye, put primer on it and then paint it

6. den007

den007 Active Member

Just curious.......why oh why would you put primer over a glass eye? ( I am assuming it is not clear, forgive me please if I am wrong.) It would detract form any positive qualities of the glass, including depth. Why not just roll your own, (of course I referring to epoxy spheres.) A little trick I use is to mix my pigments with one minute epoxy and paint it right on........it will not pull away. I would be happy to post pics of this or send eyes. Not giving all the details, but you can paint with tinted epoxy!

Shameless marketing once again on my part.

PM me.

7. bowelk

bowelk Member

We do in our studio. Something different than usually what the herd provides. We do 150 - 200 fish a year of both skin mount and repro. And it's fun!

8. naturalcreati40

Hey Denn, its just something I'm trying, I just like the way it looks. I've tried getting the blank eyes and painting them but for some reason I just had a hard time with that. Could never get the look I liked. I feel I can get more detail painting the outside of the eye. I wish I had a pic. I paint all my details and put several coats of gloss and I think it looks pretty good. I got the idea from someone on here a while back. I don't know the process you re talking about